New Layer, small eggs?

Svyetii

Chirping
Nov 26, 2022
Northern New Mexico
Hey all! So I have four girls who are at or close to point of lay, a black Maran sex link, a blue Plymouth Rock, a cream legbar and an Easter Egger. My black Maran and blue Plymouth both seem very much at point of lay, but the legbar also appears close. About a week ago we started getting new eggs. Based on their color and the Marian’s behavior (she’s been sitting in the nesting box), I am fairly sure the eggs are hers. But they are SO TINY! I know it’s normal for new layers to have weird or inconsistent eggs in the beginning; is it normal for there to be so many small eggs? The only larger egg she’s layed was a double yolker. See the pictures for reference. I’ve included today’s eggs from my older Easter egger and buff Orpington for reference. Thanks!

Attachments

• CC83CF84-5F8B-4EEA-9643-717FB715734D.jpeg
    CC83CF84-5F8B-4EEA-9643-717FB715734D.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 126
  • DD405F15-E7A8-4641-9A35-2D28888BB7C1.jpeg
    DD405F15-E7A8-4641-9A35-2D28888BB7C1.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 30
  • CBEAA6FB-E16F-44C5-95A4-D002C91A475F.jpeg
    CBEAA6FB-E16F-44C5-95A4-D002C91A475F.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 30
Some hens need to work out their system and those tiny eggs are showing that her system is new and is getting all the little things fixed out. She’s a new layer so she should start to get bigger eggs in the next few weeks. Or she may just be a special tiny egg layer her whole life, which would honestly be just super cute to have tiny bantam sized eggs.

My pullets started laying in February, and I still have one that lays very small eggs. In the months since they started laying, I've even gotten 3 eggs that look like this: :eek:

16892547130456320871383252673556.jpg

Some hens need to work out their system and those tiny eggs are showing that her system is new and is getting all the little things fixed out. She’s a new layer so she should start to get bigger eggs in the next few weeks. Or she may just be a special tiny egg layer her whole life, which would honestly be just super cute to have tiny bantam sized eggs.
Thanks!

I didn’t think I needed to worry, but figured I’d check. It’s crazy hot here right now. And you’re right, they are pretty darn cute ☺️.

My pullets started laying in February, and I still have one that lays very small eggs. In the months since they started laying, I've even gotten 3 eggs that look like this: :eek:

View attachment 3575561
Wow! I knew that happened, just didn’t realize how long it could take, as my other girls were laying normal eggs fairly quickly (within days or a week at most). Thanks for sharing!

My pullets started laying in February, and I still have one that lays very small eggs. In the months since they started laying, I've even gotten 3 eggs that look like this:
This is not a typical 'pullet' egg.
Looks more like a fairy egg.
What's inside of it?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

This is not a typical 'pullet' egg.
Looks more like a fairy egg.
What's inside of it?

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I knew those teeny tiny ones weren't typical pullet eggs, but I figured they were normal for new layers, getting their systems online. Inside, is a very thick membrane and a small bit of albumen (no tissue, blood or other specks of anything)... I wish I knew which one of my girls laid them (I'm assuming all three teeny eggs - over the course of several weeks - were laid by the same chicken), but I can't tell who lays what.

Back
Top Bottom