Are these Silkie eggs?

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
Who's eggs are these? These cuties are caged together before integrating with the rest of the flock. 3 of the past 4 days I've found an egg in their cage. One is lavender ameraucana (not Americana or Easter egger, but a purebred Ameraucana from a breeder.) The other is a silkie/EE cross. Obviously the ameraucana should lay blue, and the silkie could lay cream. But these are all different shades of cream. Confused. (crossed out egg is for size reference lol these are really small eggs)

Attachments

• 20231215_171858.jpg
    20231215_171858.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231215_151059.jpg
    20231215_151059.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 13
If the Ameraucana must lay blue, then those would have to be from the Silkie-mix.

It is possible for a chicken who lays cream eggs to have variation in shades like that.
(It is also possible for brown eggs to vary in shade, or blue eggs to vary in shade.)

But I have read of some Ameraucanas that are not pure for the blue egg gene (when they are crossed to something else to get the genes to develop new feather colors, the genes for not-blue eggs come in too. Breeding out the not-blue egg gene can sometimes be difficult.)

So it is unlikely that your Ameraucana is laying eggs of that color, but not quite impossible.

If the Ameraucana must lay blue, then those would have to be from the Silkie-mix.

It is possible for a chicken who lays cream eggs to have variation in shades like that.
(It is also possible for brown eggs to vary in shade, or blue eggs to vary in shade.)

But I have read of some Ameraucanas that are not pure for the blue egg gene (when they are crossed to something else to get the genes to develop new feather colors, the genes for not-blue eggs come in too. Breeding out the not-blue egg gene can sometimes be difficult.)

So it is unlikely that your Ameraucana is laying eggs of that color, but not quite impossible.
Thanks for the info! Didn't know that. From what others have told me it seems likely the silkie cross is laying the little cream eggs, even though they're different shades of cream

Back
Top Bottom