New layer started, then stopped.

MysTzN

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
My family and I are new to raising chickens, so I just need to know...We have two chickens that we raised from chicks. About a month ago, one of them started laying. About two weeks later, the other started laying. The first one is still laying everyday, however, the second one has stopped. Is this normal when they first start laying?

Yes this is normal. Sometimes the newbie layers will lay eggs that are deformed or have no shell. What I do to fix this problem is that I put some oyster shell in their feed. You can get oyster shell at your local feed store.

Is oyster shell in scratch? Currently we are feeding them crumble and scratch, as well as fresh fruits and vegies, as well as oats for snacks. And thank you for your response
smile.png

Is oyster shell in scratch? Currently we are feeding them crumble and scratch, as well as fresh fruits and vegies, as well as oats for snacks. And thank you for your response
smile.png
. Also they also have free range of the front yard with large grass area.

Usually oyster shell doesn't come in scratch, but sometimes it does. You will have to check the ingredients label to be sure. Although, it sounds like your chickens are receiving plenty nutrients that are important for their egg production. Since they are free ranging they should be getting lots of insects that are full of protein. I would try mixing in some oyster shell and if that doesn't work after 3 days your chicken might just be having a hard time as a beginner layer, but i'm pretty sure your chicken will start laying again soon. GOOD LUCK!!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom