New laying hen, has produced one soft shelled egg and one shellless yolk less egg already this morning

georgie123

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2020
Good morning 🌟
My first bantam hen started laying this week (Tuesday), she has delivered one egg everyday since. Today I woke to find she already laid (v early) and there was quite a lot of diahhrea in the nesting box, and a very soft shelled egg, she may have punctured the egg as there was quite a lot of damp too (although I didn’t see any piercing only a little crease on the top).

She has seemed herself and is behaving regularly, except no buck-bucking today.

She has since laid another egg 🥚 just in her run that was much smaller yolk less and no shell whatsoever. I managed to take a quick photo of the second egg before the other hens tore it apart.

I have given her a little yoghurt this morning, put some acv in the drinker and made lots of shell grit available putting in the top of their feeder as well.

I’ve read a few threads on here suggesting it may just be because she new to laying, I’ve got my fingers crossed 🤞 does anyone believe this is what’s going on or something more concerning? Any help is very much appreciated. Might be worth noting this particular hen survived from a very severe case of cocci about two months ago. It has also been raining quite heavily for the week here- could it be vitamin d?

happy Sunday,
Georgie
(Australia)

Attachments

• 22B5AB76-A61A-4645-87F1-62FBA8BE848C.jpeg
    22B5AB76-A61A-4645-87F1-62FBA8BE848C.jpeg
    990.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It is likely because she is new to this. But you should give her calcium just in case. Not sure about vitamin D, maybe someone else had info about that?

Back
Top Bottom