New member but I've been using byc for months!

Sandolfthered

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
Hello all! What a wonderful site this is! Every time I've ever had a question about our misfit chicken gang I find the help I need here, so I decided to sign up today. Although I have an immediate problem and need help in the worse way. Momma hen has a clutch of about twelve eggs (six are hers and six from a hen that just got eaten by a coyote..RIP Repecka). A chick was born two weeks ago, then another the day after but the second was found dead later that day. Then another was born this morning but momma and the first chick started eating it's face! When I got home from work the poor thing was suffering so we took care of it...RIP lil chicken. Now I notice that either momma or the first chickie are breaking the shell of an egg in the clutch and eating it! Needless to say I'm not impressed with nature right now. So my question is will a heat lamp and a crate with straw be suffice to hatch these chicks and if so, how do baby chicks do without momma?
I'd appreciate any all and help. Thank you.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Many people raise chicks without broody hens, there are some nice articles in the Learning Center on raising chicks and what you need to take care of them https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks
The best chance for the eggs to hatch is if you can make or borrow an incubator (most feed stores will carry at least basic ones), there are a number of homemade ones in the Design forum from just coolers and light bulbs.. you need to keep humidity high for the chicks too hatch successfully so something that holds in humidity is needed https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
If the broody has a chick that is two weeks old, and has been taking care of it she may very well consider any new chicks that hatch as strangers and may very well be the one killing them... even if she is still going back to the nest with the older chick and sitting on the eggs most of the time. Some hens will adopt chicks that are a wide range in ages or at different times, but many broody hens will not, and some hens are just not very good mothers. Good luck with the rest of the eggs.

Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

Hello welcome from Missouri
Agreed you need an incubator right away!.

.If you dont know anyone with you can make a very cheap one and .fast too....about $10 or less.10 minutes to assemble.

Buy a cheap styrofoam cooler about $2.50 at wallmart or dollar store.
.put a hole in the upper side.size of a light socket.Line it with tin foil or some thing that wont burn or melt if you can to be safe..

Buy a socket with cord you would use to redo a lamp. Insert it in hole..and put a 40 watt incandesent bulb in it.duct tape or electric tape it in.

The cooler will need pencil size holes in it about 6 or 8 of them at the top to let heat out.
Just jam a pencil or awl into it and twist it will make holes easily

.You need a thermometer
as the light bulb could get too hot you want it. About 99 .5 -100 degrees
You can use one you use for your children even.

If it gets too hot try and block some of the bulb with a piece of tin foil
Add a warm wet terry rag at the bottom for humidity

For the lid. To see in...
Buy or use a clear plastic plate or. Glass from cheap picture frame or clear plastic underplate for plants for window to see whats going on..
Make a hole little smaller than the picture glass or plastic plate..duct tape it in.

This is all you should need cheap and fast to do. .
I have taken apart a lamp to use the socket and cord but you will have to splice the plug back on if you are familiar with doing that.after you have pulled the cord thru the lamp base.It will take a little longer to do than just buying one .

Just watch the heat.

If they are so close to hatch you dont need much more than that to hatch them out ...
Should take 10 minutes to assemble once you have the items..
Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Kelsie has given you great advice!

Mama should keep them warm without the need of a heat lamp unless it is extremely cold.

Hello from KY!
frow.gif
New to BYC and but not completly new to chickens, though I havent had any in a while and am completly starting fresh as of four days ago with two RIR and one Ameracauna chicks. Still on the hunt for a couple more to round out the gang (I am in LOVE with everything I have read about Silkies as a pet breed--have two small children and want a breed that is very social and fun). So glad this site exsists for those of us that are new or just getting back into the game!!!

Thank you soo much for the awesome support and advice! Backyard chicken people rock! I am definitely going to be making my own incubator as per Roxannemc's instructions. I think the eggs are somewhere between day eight and fourteen, is that normal? I'm quite stressed on this as i have taken it upon myself to properly care for and hatch our favourite hen's little legacies.
Wish me luck! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom