New member from LA CA

LuckyCluckyCA

Songster
Dec 13, 2018
Port of Los Angeles, CA
Hi I'm Deborah - aka Lucky Clucky and Henny Penny's mom - and I'm a dog agility trainer in the port of Los Angeles, CA. I have 2 b/c and 4 Rat Terriers, plus co/own 2 more ratties a sheltie and a couple mixed breeds who live w other people but show and train and vacation with me.

As a youngster my family had an egg ranch out in the boonies and so there were tons of chickens. By Kindergarten my family moved into town and off the ranch and I had pet ducks dogs and cats. About 2nd grade I got my own laying hens who were treated as livestock. Meaning that they lived in a row of cages, weren't played with layed eggs and I sold them. If we got soft shelled eggs, I gave them ground up eggshells and all was good. I grew giant pumpkins too. My mom had fancy bantam chickens but we didn't really play with them either. We did play with the ducks and built them their own little above ground pool, which was super nasty to clean.

My husband has a marine engine business and he called me to come down because he found a chicken in the yard that at first he thought was a crow. This chicken decided to move into a tree above my dog training yard, so it's been there a couple weeks. My husband said I could keep it if we named it Lucky Clucky. So the hen was named just that. Anyway she's still up in that tree as of this morning. I built her a super awesome coop over the weekend (a super cute house from a kit that was on super sale and I added a 15' fully enclosed chicken run to it)
coop1.jpg
and on monday started figuring out how to get her out of the tree. She does come down to eat, but VERY early in the morning. I can see chicken prints all over my agility yard so I know when she's been down. I got very close to her one day but then the pack busted the fence open and up she went to her tree again. The group here ID'd her as a English Game Hen. She does peek down at me when I toss her scratch and mealworms. so I think shes been handled, but she knows the terriers would prefer chicken dinner to chicken sister. LOL

Anyway on Monday I saw a cute bantam on the dog pounds page so I went in yesterday (tues) to put a deposit on her as she wasn't avail until thurs. Well - tada! it was a typo and she was avail right then. So for the big 10 bucks I put her in a cat box and brought her home to Lucky Clucky's coop which is now Henny Penny's house. I'm hoping to lure Lucky Clucky down with Henny Penny. I have a post up to ID what kind of chicken Henny Penny is, so I should know that soon. She was an owner turn in and is so cuddly and cute and a whopping 1.4 lbs. So tiny. Yet she photographs like a big chicken.

All my dogs are pro models/ actors / athletes so I fully expect the chickens will be too. I've already had Lucky Clucky training on jumps but instead of going over each jump she ducked under :) click and treat with a meal worm.

Glad to have a place to learn more about pet chickens. These ones are treated way differently than the ones I had as a kid. LOL spoiled some might say and I've only had one less than 24 hours.
lucky tree 2.jpg
henny 3.jpg

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Deborah! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Lucky Clucky and Henny Penny live a spoiled life it sounds like! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hi I'm Deborah - aka Lucky Clucky and Henny Penny's mom - and I'm a dog agility trainer in the port of Los Angeles, CA. I have 2 b/c and 4 Rat Terriers, plus co/own 2 more ratties a sheltie and a couple mixed breeds who live w other people but show and train and vacation with me.

As a youngster my family had an egg ranch out in the boonies and so there were tons of chickens. By Kindergarten my family moved into town and off the ranch and I had pet ducks dogs and cats. About 2nd grade I got my own laying hens who were treated as livestock. Meaning that they lived in a row of cages, weren't played with layed eggs and I sold them. If we got soft shelled eggs, I gave them ground up eggshells and all was good. I grew giant pumpkins too. My mom had fancy bantam chickens but we didn't really play with them either. We did play with the ducks and built them their own little above ground pool, which was super nasty to clean.

My husband has a marine engine business and he called me to come down because he found a chicken in the yard that at first he thought was a crow. This chicken decided to move into a tree above my dog training yard, so it's been there a couple weeks. My husband said I could keep it if we named it Lucky Clucky. So the hen was named just that. Anyway she's still up in that tree as of this morning. I built her a super awesome coop over the weekend (a super cute house from a kit that was on super sale and I added a 15' fully enclosed chicken run to it) View attachment 1619486 and on monday started figuring out how to get her out of the tree. She does come down to eat, but VERY early in the morning. I can see chicken prints all over my agility yard so I know when she's been down. I got very close to her one day but then the pack busted the fence open and up she went to her tree again. The group here ID'd her as a English Game Hen. She does peek down at me when I toss her scratch and mealworms. so I think shes been handled, but she knows the terriers would prefer chicken dinner to chicken sister. LOL

Anyway on Monday I saw a cute bantam on the dog pounds page so I went in yesterday (tues) to put a deposit on her as she wasn't avail until thurs. Well - tada! it was a typo and she was avail right then. So for the big 10 bucks I put her in a cat box and brought her home to Lucky Clucky's coop which is now Henny Penny's house. I'm hoping to lure Lucky Clucky down with Henny Penny. I have a post up to ID what kind of chicken Henny Penny is, so I should know that soon. She was an owner turn in and is so cuddly and cute and a whopping 1.4 lbs. So tiny. Yet she photographs like a big chicken.

All my dogs are pro models/ actors / athletes so I fully expect the chickens will be too. I've already had Lucky Clucky training on jumps but instead of going over each jump she ducked under :) click and treat with a meal worm.

Glad to have a place to learn more about pet chickens. These ones are treated way differently than the ones I had as a kid. LOL spoiled some might say and I've only had one less than 24 hours. View attachment 1619483 View attachment 1619484
:frow :welcome

Back
Top Bottom