New Member from Manitoba

Welcome, I am so glad you decided to join us.
jumpy.gif

Looks like you have a very cute little helper.   Welcome to backyard chickens.

Thanks that's my oldest in my avatar, the chicken coop and chickens is a early Christmas gift. I hope she will love it.

Welcome to BYC! Great that you joined!
Excited about getting your chickens, I guess! Have you had chickens before??
Peace on earth and seasons greetings!

I'm glad iv joined also. Iv have read a lot so far and hoping to find out more as I go. No I have not owened chickens before, iv been tossing the idea around the last couple of years and now I have finally did it!

Welcome to BYC!  Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on getting 2 or 3 more chickens to go with the one you are getting. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicken are you getting?

The one that I'm getting tomorrow is a leghorn, as for the next two I will get im not sure yet., I want to get some that are good winter birds and good egg layers also. Any suggestions.

The one that I'm getting tomorrow is a leghorn, as for the next two I will get im not sure yet., I want to get some that are good winter birds and good egg layers also. Any suggestions.
Leghorns are great layers, but like other Mediterranean breeds are not the best winter birds. Not only your Leghorn's lay rate drop off considerable in really cold weather, but you'll have to watch carefully for comb frostbite. Some Vaseline on the comb will help in that regard. I've raised chickens in some very cold temperatures (down to 30 F below zero), and my best layers in really cold weather have been Black Sex Links, which are hybrids, and Black Australorps, which are a standard breed. Other decent cold weather layers that I've had are Red Sex Links (also hybrids), Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Whatever other two breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Leghorns are great layers, but like other Mediterranean breeds are not the best winter birds. Not only your Leghorn's lay rate drop off considerable in really cold weather, but you'll have to watch carefully for comb frostbite. Some Vaseline on the comb will help in that regard. I've raised chickens in some very cold temperatures (down to 30 F below zero), and my best layers in really cold weather have been Black Sex Links, which are hybrids, and Black Australorps, which are a standard breed. Other decent cold weather layers that I've had are Red Sex Links (also hybrids), Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, Light Brahmas, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. Whatever other two breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Also I forgot to add Barred Rocks and Rhode Island Reds to that list of other decent cold weather layers.

Any one else from Manitoba? How do you deal with the cold weather?

I'm not from Manitoba, but Montana has really cold weather as well. Make sure that you get cold hardy breeds and that your coop is draft free, dry, and well ventilated to prevent moisture from building up inside it. Feathers are wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold.

Back
Top Bottom