New member from north Florida

dornellaram

Chirping
Jan 25, 2023
I have had two laying chickens for about a year now, and going to try my hand at the incubator.. My DIL is going to give me a few fertilized eggs to start. I don't want to order a few from the hatcheries and pay exorbitant shipping costs. I have my incubator, automatic everything, egg turning temperature control, moisturizing, etc. I don't have a rooster because I don't think my neighbors would appreciate him like I would. I do realize I'm taking a chance on hatching a rooster, but I do have a nice pressure cooker that he can end up in before the neighbors complain.
I'm excited to be here and learn all I can learn from all of you. My family always had chickens when I was growing up, and I had a few myself many years ago. I'm retired now and with the price of eggs, I'd just like to grow my own layers. I think I can do it, but feel better knowing I have a place I can go to for the right advice and answers to any questions I might have.
I bought a TS coop and have two layers in it already from a friend. I read somewhere that for a family of two, four chickens would supply the amount of eggs that family would need. I'm going for the number 6 right now.

I have had two laying chickens for about a year now, and going to try my hand at the incubator.. My DIL is going to give me a few fertilized eggs to start. I don't want to order a few from the hatcheries and pay exorbitant shipping costs. I have my incubator, automatic everything, egg turning temperature control, moisturizing, etc. I don't have a rooster because I don't think my neighbors would appreciate him like I would. I do realize I'm taking a chance on hatching a rooster, but I do have a nice pressure cooker that he can end up in before the neighbors complain.
I'm excited to be here and learn all I can learn from all of you. My family always had chickens when I was growing up, and I had a few myself many years ago. I'm retired now and with the price of eggs, I'd just like to grow my own layers. I think I can do it, but feel better knowing I have a place I can go to for the right advice and answers to any questions I might have.
I bought a TS coop and have two layers in it already from a friend. I read somewhere that for a family of two, four chickens would supply the amount of eggs that family would need. I'm going for the number 6 right now.
Welcome. I am confident you will get the answers you need here.

Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom