New Member from Ohio

Obiwan Henobi

Chirping
Apr 28, 2023
Hello Everyone!

I am new to this forum. My wife and I began raising chickens last spring so our ladies are now a year old and we have been loving it so far. We have 5 hens (two Rhode Island Reds; two Easter Eggers; and one Black Australorp). We got our chicks from RP Home and Harvest on Easter Weekend of 2022.

My favorite aspect of raising chickens (other than fresh eggs daily) is how responsive they are to us. I never anticipated chickens to have individual personalities. They are far more entertaining that I would have imagined! I am hooked and have already had to resist "chicken math" as I see this year's chicks at local farm stores.

I am a full-time college professor and my wife works part-time with our church. I enjoy woodworking, amateur astronomy, and my wife enjoys nature photography (mostly wildflowers native to Ohio). We have 3 cats and a Great Dane (who by the way was scared of the chicks when we first brought them home!)

I kind of "stumbled upon" this forum while searching for information about feather loss our hens are undergoing right now. I will post pictures later, but they have been loosing feathers around their vents and rumps (one is missing feathers on her lower back next to her tail). We have inspected them for mites/lice but haven't seen any and I suspect it may be feather-picking (but I haven't ruled out pest infestation). They are too young to begin their first molt. I would really appreciate any insight others might have on this.

I look forward to engaging with everyone about all things "chicken"!

About their personalities… yeah. Dealing with my first batch, I’m surprised. I have a hybrid pullet that has decided she’s a parrot and I’m a pirate. Perches on me at every opportunity. It’s fun. Weird, but fun.

Attachments

• FE40719E-8766-415B-9BB3-D62EEDBE4716.jpeg
    FE40719E-8766-415B-9BB3-D62EEDBE4716.jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CF01B632-1760-45F6-B19D-D970E202B68C.jpeg
    CF01B632-1760-45F6-B19D-D970E202B68C.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom