New member from Oklahoma........

Hello from South Carolina!
welcome-byc.gif
We are happy you joined us!
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Been doing a lot of reading and found answers to every question so far. This place is great.

I don't have a preference as to breed but I do like those large, brown eggs. I want to make eggs my #1 priority but I also want to raise a few birds every year for meat. I have a couple incubators that I would like to put to use (I used to raise quail) so I need a rooster. How many roosters do I need with 25 hens?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all the welcomes!

I don't have a preference as to breed but I do like those large, brown eggs. I want to make eggs my #1 priority but I also want to raise a few birds every year for meat. I have a couple incubators that I would like to put to use (I used to raise quail) so I need a rooster. How many roosters do I need with 25 hens?

Thanks for the help.
You're welcome. You need two roosters with 25 hens to insure adequate fertilization of your eggs. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Too many roosters can be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and heads, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Since you are planning to hatch your own chicks, you need to go with a standard breed and not a hybrid as hybrids will not breed true. Since eggs are a priority, I would recommend Black Australorps. I've raised Black Australorps for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy in both heat and cold; they are calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them); and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that level of productivity (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. And being a dual purpose breed, Australorps have a decent amount of meat on them. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

I quickly learned the same thing about BYC! I joined when I actually found out my first rooster's breed. I got a mix batch of half dozen eggs from my breeder. since then ive gotten to know so many people and learn LOTS its such a great site! youll LOVE IT!

Thanks Michael. I'm going to give the Black Australorps a try. I don't think very many folks around here have those.

ACTUAILLY haha the BAs were my first chickens! they are excellent girls! check craigslist or ebay for eggs and birds. I know here in NC I always see someone on craigslist with them at POL (point of lay)

these were my girlies. I gave them to my neighbor, and they are about 3 or 4 now, and still egg laying machines! Its an excellent breed!

The new chicken house is started. I got the floor in, the walls up and the roof rafters nailed in. Then the rain came. Had to cover everything with tarps. It's looking good so far and as soon as the rain moves out I'll get the roof on. Thanks for all the help. I'm really looking forward to getting started!

Back
Top Bottom