New member from PA, plus a hundred questions

suderm

Songster
5 Years
Apr 25, 2017
So this is my first venture in to chickens. I figured buy a pre-fab coop now and in a few years build one that suits my needs/style better and I am already running in to issues. Below is a picture of a very similar coop from tractor supply to the one that I purchased.
Questions:

Droppings boards - Should I have one installed in the open-air part of the coop? There are two roosting bars and the front end area of the cage is getting messy quickly. Do chickens roost in the open-air spot often? Or are they just doing it now because they are still unsure of their surroundings? They have only been in there new home for 5 days so I am sure they are still getting comfortable. I have noticed them out during weird times.

Exterior run - I am going to build an exterior run asap for them and attach it to the current coop. Thoughts on size? I was thinking of giving them a 10x10 spot with a small area of the run with solid roof covering. Anything I should definitely include in my run? Also, should I be covering the run floor with straw for easy clean up?

Veggie feeder - Has anyone built a decent veggie feeder that is easy to replace food in? Pictures? Ive already built a "auto" pellet feeder and "auto" oyster shell feeder (although it is getting 'pelted' because it's underneath a roosting bar so it needs a new home.) Or is there a cheap one to buy that works well.

Food list - Is there a easy-to-read food cheat sheet somewhere? I've been scowering pinterest and the like for a cheat sheet of chicken-friendly food/food scraps to print out.

A-frame tractor - Yesterday with a sick day I built a mobile A-frame tractor to move around my yard. I have a 2-3 foot section that is enclosed to keep them shielded from sun or run if they want and also to hang a water feeder for them. The remaining 7 feet or so is exposed. Is there anything else I should think about including in my mobile tractor?

Im sure I have a thousand more questions and I am sure some of my questions aren't clear. All input is welcome and appreciated! (I know not all of my questions are coop-related) Happy chicken-ing!!

Matt

G’Day from down under Matt
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, there is no coop picture for us to see. However, I see you have found a couple of Forums and posted some questions so you are off to a pretty good start.

If you have not already checked it out, I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there, including a couple of articles on treats and feed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi Matt and welcome to our community. I hope folks on the other forums can assist you.

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom