New member from South Shore MA

gamayun

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site, have been reading it for about a week. We have some room in our backyard, and kids are asking for chickens, so I plan to try it and see how it works out. My experiments with a garden turned out awesome so I'm pretty sure we can handle chickens too. And a couple of ducks, to make it more educational :)

I'll be browsing forums looking for a place to get a build to order or prefabbed coop+run, for about 12 chicks. I plan to buy 6 chicks next month and 2-3 ducklings, so need to find one that can be bought/picked up/installed relatively soon, and prefer to have extra room in it for future growth. We are in Taunton/Middleboro area so hopefully I can find a place where I can pick up the coop within reasonable driving distance, or have it shipped.

This seems like a great community, so I'm very glad I found it and thanks to all the folks who contribute their experience and wisdom here so noobs like me can learn.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It must be a very exciting time for you and your family :D I'm sure you will all enjoy the experience very much. It's a great way for getting all the family involved. Have you checked out the learning centre? Lots of great articles there that will help you get started, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC! So glad you could join!

Chickens are some of the best backyard pets/livestock out there, so its a great choice. They love to forage, get treats, and follow you around and some even love to be snuggled. There are some breeds better at living in a backyard coop then others, so try to learn about the different breeds you could get. I love having as many colors as possible so I can tell them all apart. Some of my friendliest chickens are Red Stars, Barred Rocks, Jersey Giants, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, and Buff Orpington.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Best of luck!
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Yorkshire coop; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Raising poultry is a great family hobby, everyone can pitch in and enjoy the fun (and eggs)!

Wishing you all the best and if you have questions, always feel free to ask.

Some of the ready to build, or finished coops are very nice to look at but, will not hold up to extreme weather conditions or predators. That is something to consider when buying vs building one. Welcome to BYC. Hope you will avail yourself of the coops sections to see various styles, sizes and types like permanent coops or moveable chicken tractors, etc.

Hi and welcome to our forum. It seems like you have busy but exciting times ahead of you, which is great. I agree with DD above, - it seems that ready made coop are made to appeal to humans, rather than being functional for chickens. I'm a fan of sheds - cheaper than a ready made coop and more flexible.

All the best, and let us know how you progress

CT

Hi and welcome to our forum. It seems like you have busy but exciting times ahead of you, which is great. I agree with DD above, - it seems that ready made coop are made to appeal to humans, rather than being functional for chickens. I'm a fan of sheds - cheaper than a ready made coop and more flexible.

All the best, and let us know how you progress

CT

I love sheds. Chickens LOVE perching up high and sheds allow this. They are, as stated above, also easier to change according to the weather and the chickens needs.

Back
Top Bottom