New member from the pacific northwest

1846bird

Hatching
Dec 19, 2015
Hi! My family and I have our first laying hens! Four of them! they aren't a year old and they are so much fun!

Lizzie- Delaware
Rose- Barred Rock
Sally- Americana
Flo- Plymouth Rock

welcome-byc.gif

Hi! My family and I have our first laying hens! Four of them! they aren't a year old and they are so much fun!

Lizzie- Delaware
Rose- Barred Rock
Sally- Americana
Flo- Plymouth Rock

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and ask any questions you may have.

Oh cool!!! thanks! :) LOVE that picture! SOOOO darling! We got 4 eggs a day all though the end of summer and fall. (25 weeks and on for each of them) but now that it's winter, we are down a LOT. like 1-4 eggs a WEEK. :( this week we got none.

Oh cool!!! thanks! :) LOVE that picture! SOOOO darling! We got 4 eggs a day all though the end of summer and fall. (25 weeks and on for each of them) but now that it's winter, we are down a LOT. like 1-4 eggs a WEEK. :( this week we got none.
The reduced production is actually quite normal for fall/winter. The egg cycle is tied to the daylight cycle. When the days get too short, egg production slows down or completely stops. The good news is that tomorrow is the shortest day of the year, and then days will start to get longer again. Egg production will begin to pick up again in January or February.

The reduced production is actually quite normal for fall/winter. The egg cycle is tied to the daylight cycle. When the days get too short, egg production slows down or completely stops. The good news is that tomorrow is the shortest day of the year, and then days will start to get longer again. Egg production will begin to pick up again in January or February.

I had to put a heat lamp in my chicken pen. A lot of people told me to keep them warm and lightwill help them. I went on Walmart.com and found a 10 inch Heat lamp for $10 and I bought an outdoor extension cord ran it out to my shop. I put 100 W energy efficient bulbs in it it puts off 100 W of heat and light but only uses 13 W of energy and it said it only cost $10 to burn this bulb. That really made my chickens take back up after about two days and it is helping her stay warm during the winter the cost of using the smok that really made my chickens take back up after about two days and it is helping her stay warm during the winter they cost of using the bulb is the same as buying two dozen eggs in the store. I am new to blogging so I hope I did this right

Back
Top Bottom