New member help please

abbyf

Chirping
Jun 30, 2015
We have 10 chickens 5 speckled Sussex and 5 light brahmas they are 10 weeks old, this morning when I went out to let them out one of my Sussex was not herself, she pooped a runny watery poop, fluffed up and seems tired not her normal precocious self not really eating but still jumped on my back for a meal worm. I decided to preempt and treat for cocci just in case is there anything else I should do. She was fine yesterday and all others seem fine. Thank you

Welcome to BYC. How old are they? Coccidiosis is very common in chicks 3-20 weeks old, and has symptoms of lethargy, standing puffed up, diarrhea or blood in droppings, poor food intake, and ruffled feathers are common. Corid (amprollium) in the water is the best treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days, as the only water source. What are you using?

Thanks for replying I am dosing them with Amprollium powder however I only gave 3/4 teaspoon, and I am dosing the whole flock just to be sure They are 10 weeks at the moment.

We are in the middle of using Corid powder for our 10 week old chicks and are giving them 1 and a half teaspoons of Corid powder mixed in a gallon of water. Change daily and treat the whole flock for 5 to 7 days. We are treating for 7 days to be on the safe side. Good luck.

I upped the dosage, all other appear normal still, not seen anymore bloody type poops but she is still not herself (poor frick) she did seem a bit better yesterday but again this morning back to staying in the coop and just laying around. There didn't seem any really abnormal poops in the coop this morning. I just want her to feel better. Thank you to the answers already and thanks to Eggcessive regarding the dosage.

She needs to eat. Try fruit,, applesauce mixed with feed, corn out of can or fresh. Needs to eat 10% of body weight. Mine are recovering but I had to start tube feeding.

You need to be SURE she is drinking the medicated water. If she is not drinking, you need to tube the medicated water.

Another option is dropping water one drop at a time in her mouth. Hydration is VERY important in treating this disease.

She is definitely drinking and she has been eating, she is just blah. Her appetite is not normal but she is taking her mealworms just not like normal. edited to add she always seems worse in the morning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom