New Member Helping Abandoned Ducks!

:welcome :ya:yesss: Hello Shannon and welcome to BYC. You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many knowledgeable members who are willing to help you along your journey with any questions you may have. Enjoy :)

I am no expert but it's my understanding that their duck bill color is normal. The female hens will have a light fleshy peach color and the drakes will have a more deeper orange bill.

There is also a great Duck section on this BYC poultry forum with many knowledgeable duck people who can help you with all your duck questions, best of luck. :)
Hi! Thanks for the message. I've definitely used this forum for my questions in the past and have always found it so helpful.

Turns out the ducks were just very very very malnourished. After a couple of weeks of the right vitamins, minerals, and food... they now have orange beaks again. They were so bad I was thinking (like many other people on here have suggested) that they were white layer ducks and not pekins. Turns out they were just knocking on heaven's door when they landed in our care.

What does this premium diet consist of?
We buy good duck food and then supplement with things like tuna, salmon, and mealworms to help them get some more protein and minerals etc. I was also making them a slurry of peas, pineapple, spinach, and sweet potato at the beginning. I can't even describe to you how almost dead these poor things were. They were low on manganese I think in addition to niacin. We also give them Nutritional Yeast. Our totally fine not sick ducks don't get the tuna or the salmon :)

Back
Top Bottom