New member (how do i post in BST)

My pics were not posted on my thread. What did I do wrong?
Click on that little icon in the top of the reply box here that looks like a little scene. (2 to the left of the smile face) it says Inert Image. That will lead you to your pc to load pics here. :)

We have lost two roosters to predators. We Road Island Red hens and they are walking around making sounds for weeks. They started following my husband around the yard every time he goes outside. We picked up a mixed rooster from a flea market today and he looks ok BUT I don't know how long we should keep him in quarantine and how to introduce him to the hens. Any suggestions?

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Hi. I'm just getting started raising backyard chickens with my son. I have a couple of probably dumb questions. First thinking about going with Plymouth Barred Rock. Is that a good choice? What kind of bedding or shavings are best. I heard to stay away from pine and cedar shavings. Is that true? My other concern is salmonella. I've read several articles about it. Should I be concerned? I also have dogs that are considered part of the family, they won't have access to the chickens but could be in the area when they are let out to roam. Should I be concern with them getting sick or any disease? Sorry, these are probably silly questions and concerns but I am new at this. Thanks for your patience.

I'm sure many more questions to come...

. I have 2 coops with an adjacent fence. Monday when I went out to feed all the chickens were dead and one was missing. In one coop all the chickens had no trauma to their bodies. In the other coup something however, there were feathers in their henhouse and yard but not the other. We have netting over the coops but there was an new opening Any ideas? I live in Southern California and we have coyotes, bob cats,wild cats from the groves,skunks, raccoons, owls and hawks. Why a Aren't we seeing trauma? Is it possibly the second coop saw what was happening g next to them and all died of heart attacks. Why would something go in one coop and not steal. Hen. Just devastated. We've had chickens for 15 years and nothing like this has ever happened like this before. Anyone have an idea.?

I am new to chickens but soooooo excited. My coop is ready and I am picking out 3 month old chickens tomorrow. The last few months I have read everything chickens and hopefully I am ready to take proper care of them. I have decided to get 3. I have researched breeds and have decided to get a Buff because they are suppose to be sweet and friendly, a barred rock because they are beautiful and a white one because I want each to be a different color and I have heard mean ones are usually red. :D I have wanted to have chickens for years and I am finally doing it. Soooo happy.

I am posting this here because try as I might I could not figure how to post anywhere else. I think this is the wrong place but here I go. I love this site and I'm sure I will be a frequent visitor. Also it's kind of creepy that when I became a member my computer somehow provided a profile pic of me (how did it do that, how does my comp know what I look like). Yikes, I'm sure I will be changing it to a pic of one of my chickens as soon as I figure this site out a little better.

Back
Top Bottom