New Member in Central Seattle, Laura Gardener

Laura Gardener

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2020
I've been raising chickens since 2012. I started while in culinary school after seeing films of chicken factory farms. I decided that I wanted to grow my own eggs. I have 8 laying hens, three pullets who are approaching maturity, and one duck. I have 3 Amerauracanas, 3 Gold-Sex Links, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 Buff Orpington, 2 Black Austrolorps, 1 Silver Laced Black Wyandotte, and 1 Blue Swedish duck. I love raising chickens because they all have unique personalities and are quite fascinating to interact with. My Buff Orpington is my most cuddly, friendly bird (as was her predecessor from some years ago). I'm from Rhode Island and need to re-add a RRI to my flock sometime soon. I'd also like to get a differently colored Orpington. // I sell eggs to my 'Egg Ladies'. I enjoy the community aspect, knowing that we are all eating the same food from the same birds. I've also raised New Zealand rabbits (though I'm currently taking a break). I cared for four feral Tuxedo cats for 17 years but now just have my 3 year old Havanese-Poodle. I also compose and perform music on my accordion, and study guitar and a few other instruments. I spend a lot of time in my garden, raising tomatoes, other vegetables, flowers, and herbs. I care for my 97 year old father in my home in Seattle and work as a psychotherapist, yoga teacher, music teacher, and music performer. I've used BackYard Chickens as a resource for some years. My Ukrainian family (on both sides) have raised chickens for time immemorial. How else could one make the beautiful Ukrainian Easter Eggs. However, my Dad says that in his little Ukrainian Village, they themselves rarely ate the eggs they raised because they had to sell them to make money (as do I). Both of my parents worked in my uncle's chicken businesses in different capacities. So, I guess you could say chickens are 'in my blood'. Though I don't eat the chickens that I raise, I do make a fantastic chicken soup, as my mother did before me. I'd love to meet and confer with other Chicken raisers in Central Seattle.

Back
Top Bottom