New Member in Connecticut

Great info here.....
thumbsup.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hi Mara,
I'm a fellow Ridgefielder, new to keeping chickens. My 3 young hens just arrived about two weeks ago. We have settled into a really nice routine then yesterday I lost one of them to an incredibly huge hawk. I'm devastated. Wondering if you let your girls free range, or iff they just have to be kept penned in this area due to so many dangerous predators.

Hi birdlady!
I haven't been on this site in such a long time as I had put off getting chickens until recently. That is terrible about the hawk. Wondering how you are doing. I am in the Ridgebury area and have plenty of hawks around. I have a covered run but when we can stay outside and watch them we let them walk about. My neighbor tells me I should enclose an area of some of the wooded and brush section of the property and let them forage there. He says that in 12 years he has lost maybe 3 hens to a cyote and raccoon, he has a rooster so he fought off a hawk attack.
The gals are still young so we don't feel comfortable letting them out on their own, and they keep going back into the run anyway. Think they feel safe there.
Mara

Back
Top Bottom