New Member Introduction

lsc13151

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
Hi, I am lsc13151. I have 4 pet chickens. 2 are Rhode Island Reds and the other 2 are SexLink. One of my sexlink has a protrousion on her chest (crop area). She also has very pale crown and around her eyes. These are my pets that I raised from chicks. They are not laying eggs yet. I am really concerned about Dora. Some one mentioned ACV but I don't know what that is. I am afraid she is not doing well. Any help will be appreciated.

I would not worry to much about the protrusion if it is pretty small. How big is it? The pale crown and eyes I don't know about. Look at her actual eyes. They should be bright and alert. That is the best way to tell if a chicken is healthy. Make sure your coop is well ventilated and she is getting enough protein. She should get 18 to 20 percent until she is about full grown and then 16 to 18 percent after that. If your cat/dog food is high in protein you can mix that in with her food. Look up Pearson's Square and that will tell you how much higher protein to mix with your regular chicken food. Hope she gets to feeling better.

We have a hen who is about 9 months old and is setting on 9 eggs and has been for about 13 days now. Over the weekend she started
walking very slow and acting like it is all she can do to even walk. She isn't eating or drinking as much as either. I know it has been hot but we have had a fan blowing in the coop, so it doesn't get too hot, but she just isn't acting right. Also her butt is nasty and she smells HORRIBLE. Her nest is clean as is the coop, We are lost as to what to do. We are first time chicken owners!! Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with her?

Thanks
MillerTown2

Broody hens will starve themselves to death rather than leave their nest. You either have to force her out a few times a day, to eat, drink, poop. Or put water and food close to her nest so she doesn't have to leave it. Broody poops are really stinky. She probably needs her behind cleaned off and dried.

If it is very hot put ice in her water, you can also have frozen bottles of water near her so help cool her off.

Back
Top Bottom