New member looking for wyndott advice

Hi!
welcome-byc.gif

A good layer hen should lay 5-6 times per week, during her peak laying time. The older she gets, the less eggs she is likely to lay.

welcome-byc.gif

I've never had a Wyandotte but have had (and still do) EE. Ours probably lays 4-5 eggs per week, except now of course while she is molting. The aging process slows down laying as do the fewer hours of daylight.

Are your birds currently laying?

edited to correct: No she doesn't lay 4-5 per day...that's per week!
roll.png

Last edited:
Yes mine are laying my EE is giving me 1 egg a day my other EE had not started too lay not sure why
1f914.png
I got 1 gold wyndot laying and the other 2 silver and 1 more gold are not

The days are getting shorter, maybe that accounts for the lack of laying?

I leave a light on in there coop till 9pm will that help with the shorter days? I just started doing this for the last week now

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The Wyandottes and Easter Eggers I've had have averaged about 3-4 eggs per hen per week over the course of a year with summer laying being heavier than winter laying. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Last edited:
My sister has some Colombian Wyandotte that I am taking care of for her. There are about a dozen in the run, 1 being a rooster, and 4 are a little young still to be laying. And we get about 1 egg every 3 days or so. Which is an improvement. They have been molting for a month or so (seems like forever) and up and quit laying. Since we are starting to see that one egg showing up occasionally, I am hopeful they will get back into production.

But yes, before the molt, the hens were doing very well. 5 to 6 eggs a week, like beetandsteet mentioned would be about right. Unless they are upset. Or molting. Or just don't like the new guy that takes care of them. Or are mad about the new additions to the flock. Or don't like the overcrowding in the coop (which I should have fixed by today or tomorrow at the latest).

I have no clue. I'll just keep on feeding them and watering them, and cleaning their coop, and making their coop bigger, and hopefully they will start laying again or I am gonna make a lot of chicken soup and tell my sister I have no idea what happened to them......

Back
Top Bottom