New member looking to learn

Ragfrey

Songster
Apr 19, 2023
South Louisiana
New member from South Louisiana.
I have a large back yard and seriously thinking about getting some chickens. I have two trained Dobermans, 3 house cats and children are all off to college so I now have time to do what I would like to do….get some chickens.

-Back yard prob 3/4 acre.
25DDFB19-3051-40AA-A529-C702BAECFC8D.jpeg

-Coop/pen: idk? House/pen to be 17x20 under some trees. Want room to move around in. The fence will def get fixed first
26EF5AB7-BACF-483A-A3BF-A7178BCF199B.jpeg

334A2CE7-759E-4A5B-A3D7-779DABE894A4.jpeg

-not free range all day but plan to let them out daily for couple of hours after work. Then however long on my days off Sat-Mon.

-# chickens: max of 8?

-kind of chickens: really wanted y’all’s thoughts on this. I am half and half on being egg producers and just enjoying the beautiful chicken move around my yard acting funny and quirky. I could sit on a porch and watch horses and cows all day long and never move. Weird? yes, but I love to watch animals. My 3 houses over neighbor has 10 Rhode Island Reds.

Looking to learn as much as I can before taking the plunge.

Welcome. I like that you are going to get a large coop - chickens really need space. The run is important too. Security and ventilation will be the most important aspect of the coop and security in the run. You will need a hardware cloth apron for both. As far as chickens, it depends on what you want. My Easter Eggers, Australorps, Delaware and Speckled Sussex are very friendly. If you don't want to breed, I would stay away from Silkies - they get broody often.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning! You might stop by our Learning Center for all kinds of great articles on all the aspects of keeping chickens... https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

And if you still have further questions about anything, be sure to ask. Welcome to our community!

Back
Top Bottom