New member. New chicks. Super excited! Nervous we may have gotten a cockeral or two.

rmommyof3

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 23, 2014
Olympia Washington
Meet our (hopefully) ladies. Their estimated date of birth is 5/21/14. We purchased them from our local farm and garden store, who claim they purchase them from a reputable place, which I do not doubt

and they are 100% guaranteed. Of course we have fallen in love with them and really want them to be pellets. Feel free to comment with thoughts. They are growing like weeds and are happy as can be. I'm most concerned about Henrietta becoming Henry and Wazowski, well staying just the same lol. We love them. I guess this is all that truly matters and really is what all mothers want are healthy and happy babies.

Welcome to BYC! I would be curious to know which hatchery guarantees 100 % sexing. Newly hatched chicks are challenging to sex so most hatcheries only guarantee 90 % sexing (a few 95 %). Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Barred Rocks are easy to sex - the barring gene is located on the Z chromosome that determines gender (birds are ZW rather than XY). Male birds have 2 Z chromosomes, so male Barred Rocks have two copies of the barring gene. The extra barring makes them much lighter in color than the hens, so you can rest easy, Wazowski is a she. Can't be quite so sure about Henrietta, though I don't see anything that says otherwise at this time.
idunno.gif

Thank you. She, Wazowski, is so much bigger than her buddy Sully. She is a very aggressive for food, so when they go out in the yard and find worms she is on it. My husband loves to throw the ants in there. His favs are the barred. He thinks they, are on top of their game, as he says. Makes me laugh. When we first got the chicks. Henrietta immediately went over to the water and would walk around in it, take a drink, tweet a sweet little tweet. She kept doing it and I fell in love with her. Now she is sassy and is the boss of the brood box. They are fun regardless. Thanks again!

images

Welcome to BYC!

Awww.....they are just adorable!! Of course I am partial to the Barred Rocks since I have some 6 week old babies this year too!
wink.png

Enjoy your new chicks and welcome to our flock!

Thank you. She, Wazowski, is so much bigger than her buddy Sully. She is a very aggressive for food, so when they go out in the yard and find worms she is on it. My husband loves to throw the ants in there. His favs are the barred. He thinks they, are on top of their game, as he says. Makes me laugh. When we first got the chicks. Henrietta immediately went over to the water and would walk around in it, take a drink, tweet a sweet little tweet. She kept doing it and I fell in love with her. Now she is sassy and is the boss of the brood box. They are fun regardless. Thanks again!

Funny that you said Henrietta is sassy. My barred rock, which was the Meyer Meal Maker chick, is named Sassy just for that reason. She is 3 weeks old and struts around like she owns the place!

Welcome and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom