New Member, New to Chickens!

christwodog

Songster
Jan 16, 2017
Good evening!
I have five hens, one rooster (unplanned!) and a peacock who tags along with the flock. This site is a wealth of information and I feel like I was able to avoid many mishaps by reading other members' posted questions and answers. I got my chicks from Meyer Hatchery, all very healthy - this was my first time raising chicks and everything went smoothly, thanks to everyone on BYC. I love my chickens, if I had known they would be this much fun, I would have gotten some years ago! I have two barred rocks, two salmon faverolles and two blue ameracaunas, they all get along pretty well, my alpha hen is not agressive toward the others, but they give her space. My one blue ameracauna began to crow, much to my dismay, and to my hubs' amusement, so I have a rooster in the bunch. But he is very watchful and protective, I have seen him chase a cat out of the yard. I don't like the fact that my faverolles have bald spots on their heads from his "attention", but I am hoping he will settle down with age. I feel more comfortable with Kono watching over his girls when they are free ranging. They are all 7 months old, and I'm getting consistently 4-5 eggs per day. Thanks to everyone for all the help!! I look forward to being able to help someone else in the near future. Erin

Greetings from Kansas, Erin, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! Happy that BYC has been useful for you - it truly is an awesome site! Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC! :cd

welcome-byc.gif

G’Day from down under Erin
frow.gif
Welcome!

Oooh, Kono is a cool name, I like it!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! Nice to know there's a place where everyone else enjoys their chickies as much as I do!

Back
Top Bottom