New Member Pastor Dan The Pottery Man (Ceramic Artist)

Dan Goddard

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2017
Hi :)

I'm a new guy here :) Raised farming ranching in Montana/Wyoming now pastoring a country church in Central Michigan :) I have raised poultry for years off and on. Everything from a dozen to a hundred or so... Chickens, Ducks, Geese, etc.

But I find I can always learn more from others. Currently living in the church parsonage on the church property we just starting with 10 Australorps hens in a 10' X 10' shed although they are still under the brooder at 3 weeks old. Due to predation in the area we will not free range in the traditional sense. But do plan on and enclosed composting yard setup with plenty of yard room.

We live in an area that is frequented by coyotes, fox, bobcat, weasel, mink, skunk, and the occasional bear, etc. And no outdoor family dogs to run the predators off. So enclosed it is. I'm looking forward to reading and learning from both the experienced and the inexperienced clucksman and cluckswoman :)

Pastor Dan the Pottery Man

I'm thinking you may also need electrified fencing on the outside of your run to act as a first line of defense. A good jolt and the preds may not even try again. Please do cover the roof for raptors or anything that can jump down from tree branches etc.

Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom