New member Question

Bitterrse55

Chirping
Apr 18, 2024
NW PA
Hello, AllšŸ™‚

I just joined this group after weeks of finding helpful input to most of my Google searches that led me here every time. I started my chicken journey St Patrickā€™s Day weekend, buying 6 chicks at a TSC. (2 Calico Princessā€™, 2 Golden Comets, and 2 Black Maransā€¦ā€¦hopefully pullets) I then added 3 more 1.5 weeks later, a silkie, a polish, and a frizzle(so stinking cute!). We finally finished our attached run, hopefully making it predator proofā€¦ā€¦wow, what an undertaking! I can put my original 6 in the coop for good at the end of the month, but I am concerned about the cool temperatures predicted here in NW PA. (39* at night, possibly) Any advice on keeping them warm would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0009.jpeg
    IMG_0009.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    910.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Glad to meet you and welcome to BYC. That is a wonderful looking coop and pen!

Chickens, including the breeds you list, are surprisingly hardy, both to cold and heat. If your birds have their adult feathers, they should be ready for the great outdoors.

When it really gets cold next winter, you might like to know about the various articles here about getting a pen ready for winter:

Southern New England

Note that not everybody lights their coop! Plus not everybody runs electricity out there either. I manage the water in winter by just swapping out fresh water containers filled indoors with the frozen water each morning.

You may want to compare your predator protection with recommendations:

Predator protection for new & existing coops

the one thing they mention that I can't see in your wonderful pictures is adding a 2 foot apron of hardware cloth around the edges of the pen. Best wishes for your flock!

Glad to meet you and welcome to BYC. That is a wonderful looking coop and pen!

Chickens, including the breeds you list, are surprisingly hardy, both to cold and heat. If your birds have their adult feathers, they should be ready for the great outdoors.

When it really gets cold next winter, you might like to know about the various articles here about getting a pen ready for winter:

Southern New England

Note that not everybody lights their coop! Plus not everybody runs electricity out there either. I manage the water in winter by just swapping out fresh water containers filled indoors with the frozen water each morning.

You may want to compare your predator protection with recommendations:

Predator protection for new & existing coops

the one thing they mention that I can't see in your wonderful pictures is adding a 2 foot apron of hardware cloth around the edges of the pen. Best wishes for your flock!
Thank you!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I'd say they are nearly ready. If they are fully feathered, they should be ok. You might cover the part closest to the coop for shade, protection from rain and also to give them security. Chickens don't like to be too exposed.

Welcome to our community!

Welcome to BYC. Chickens do better with cold than with hot weather. Do you have plans to cover part of your run?
Also be very alert when you add those little ones in. Silkies and polish tend to get picked on because of the crests that obstruct their vision. If one or more of your marans is a rooster, do you have a plan? You may need a second space in order to protect your bantams.

Back
Top Bottom