New member with a question

THE CHICK INN 6

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2015
whippany NJ
My Coop
My Coop
I understand this hole chicken math and how it works I have a 8 ft high by 4 ft wide and 8 ft long with a 7ft high by 10 ft long run . it's 2 square feet per chicken in the coop and 10 square feet in the run, right? But I have 6 chickens and 6 ducks (2 Perkins and 4 rouns). Do I have or not have enough space and what's the math on ducks?

Hi there, @THE CHICK INN 6 !
welcome-byc.gif

I raise chickens only, but I am curious, too, so I looked up an answer to your question. I found this article, Duck Housing and Management, online, with this handy little coop space chart in it. 3.02 square feet per duck, to be exact! I just skimmed the article, so it might also have how much square footage you'll need per chicken in the run.

Floor space
Overcrowding ducks can be extremely detrimental to their health, growth or egg production. Providing adequate floorspace at each stage of development is basic to successful duck raising. While undercrowding is not usually a problem, it is better to stock ducks at near the recommended density (see Table 2 below) in cold weather so that body heat will help warm the room in which the ducks are confined.

Table 2. Floor Space Allowances For Ducks

Age of days

Space/Duck (sq cm)

Space/Duck (sq ft)
1 289 0.31
2 576 0.62
3 1024 1.10
4 1369 1.47
5 1764 1.90
6 2116 2.28
7 2304 2.48
Developing Breeders 2500 2.69
Laying Breeders 2809 3.02

I don't know about ducks, you can ask someone on the duck threads at "Other Backyard Poultry," forum above.

As for chickens it is 4-5 sq.feet per bird not including roosts, or nest boxes. and 10- sg.feet per bird in the outdoor run. If chickens are too crowded they resort to fighting, feather plucking and even cannibalism.

Your coop is 8 x 4 so 32 sq.feet - so at most you can have 8 chickens- it would be better to have one less less. Height is not important , chickens spend most of the time on the ground or floor. You have 70 sq.feet of run space,= 7 chickens.

If you live in an area with severe winters where chickens will stay inside the coop for days at a time, it's better to allow 5 sg.feet per bird in the coop. Hope this helps you out.

Welcome to BYC!

It looks like you've already been given some good information regarding size of housing so I'll just say hi, nice to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom