locknest4

Songster
Jul 15, 2015
Swan Valley, Perth,Western Australia
Hi, have been lurking around BYC for a few years enjoying the info and ideas. Finally joined to share some ideas that we have. Have had chickens for 4 yrs now, mainly as pets and yummy egg producers. Our past chooks have been Hi -Line Browns and we soon discovered that they're vicious to newcomers when adding to the flock. We have only one hi line left now (all the others having passed away from old age as they only live about 4 yrs). Have recently got five 3/4 leghorns and five 3/4 Australorps having read that they are good egg producers and have nicer temperaments. They are about 5 weeks old now. Would be good to hear tips or info from other owners of these breeds :) We live in the Swan Valley, Western Australia on a 1 acre block and love the life style.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Do you know Black Australorps originated in Australia? You may want to check out "Australia, six states and one funny little island." thread

I have heard many , many good things about the breed.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good luck with your new breeds, I dont keep those but I'm more than sure if you type your breeds into the search box above many threads will come up on them.

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised Leghorns and Australorps over the years, and they are both excellent layers. As far as temperament goes, the Leghorns tend to be high strung and flighty (definitely not lap pets). The Australorps though are very calm and gentle. My children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) easily made lap pets of our Aussies. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your new breeds, you should get a lot of eggs with those two.

Thanks for joining us!

Thanks for all the welcomes! :D Have got a question: One of the 5 week old 3/4 Leghorns has become aggressive to some of the other chicks, jumping on their backs and trying to peck their eyes. The breeder I bought them from sexed them as day. Olds. Could it be possible that we have a rooster? Or is this normal chick behaviour. We haven't hand reared before as we always used a broody hen to bring up chicks in the past.

Back
Top Bottom