johnspillman

Chirping
Jul 1, 2023
Hello my name is John & I live in Louisiana. I don't have any experience with chickens but my sister does & I do appreciate the steady supply of eggs that she provides me with. I joined this group because of the information that I've found here concerning ducks. My brother's place burned down last year & while he was trying to get back on his feet, I was caring for his pet dogs. He has a pond & had been feeding 2 adult ducks & also fish in the pond. When I fed the dogs, the ducks would come for food too so I would go to the pond & feed them too. While feeding the ducks fish would swim to the surface so they were getting some also. The duck breeds are Pekin & Cayuga. There are owls chickenhawks and foxes nearby but the ducks seem to know how to survive. I bought 2 ducklings in March, but predators got both last month. I think that they were both female Rouens. One had a green bill so they may have been American Black Ducks. I bought 2 more baby ducks after I lost the first one and I keep them in a pen during the day & inside at night. I'm trying to determine their breed now. They began yellow and started to turn brown (Buff?) and now may be turning gray? (Saxony?)

Hello John and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your losses, :hugs predators are everywhere and your birds will definitely need a predator proof coop and run. You might stop by our Ducks forum for more help with keeping your babies healthy and safe... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ducks.42/

Enjoy this new adventure!

Back
Top Bottom