gioiosani

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Gioiosa Marea;Messina;Sicily;Italy
Ciao Tutti.
Thanks for your site it a great place for things you need to know about chickens. We live in a country area of Sicily where dogs are kept chained up all day & night 12 months a year (and it can get down to freezing for a few weeks a year) and only have an up-turned sink for shelter. Chickens are thought of the same as vegitables if they look sick or do not produce its an overhead that must go, they only keep them for 1 year as they slow down laying.
We let ours out of their encloseure at least once a day, which is 4 - 10 times bigger than our neighbours and get 2 eggs a day from 3 four year olds, our neighbours get less from 8 hens, we have given them all names and they have their own personalities. The neighbours want to know when we will replace them and we keep telling them that they are still laying why get rid of them and we dred the day we will have to.

Using your template.
1 ) four years ago we bought 5 one month brown hens.
2) we only have 3 three now one was pecked so badly and we had to ask a neighbour to put it down and to our suprised was given back all prepaired for the freezer. The other damaged herself laying a very large egg and was bleading badly and went the same way.
3) common garden brown hens
4) looking up information on chickens using google
5) Gardening and living the Sicilian way & not doing very well with the local dialect.
6) We had a canary and I made him a 2m x .5 x .5 (6ft x 18ins x18ins) cage with wheels to get him out side in the morning and it was the talk of the local comunity, but unfortunatly he died while being looked after by a Sicilian neighbour and they gave us a budgie as a replacement (not that it could) We do not know his history or age he was very timid and has a leg deformity, but after 4 months is starting to show his personality.

welcome-byc.gif

I am glad you are giving your chickens a chance at a long, productive life!

Hi all,
just adding my intros as well...
We are first time chicken keepers. We brought in 14 day old chicks about 6 weeks ago - 6 Columbian Rocks and 8 Barred Rocks. We've lost one barred chick and one of them ended up not being a barred...looks like an Australorp to me. so current count is 6 Columbians, 6 Barred and 1 Australorp. Our hope is to keep the hens for eggs and likely have some or all of the roosters as supper at some point once they are big enough (our intention is to keep one rooster if it works out. the chicks were not sexed at birth).
My husband and I live in a rural Canadian community with one cat and now our chickens. We have an outside pen attached to a coop in our barn for the chickens. We will allow them to roam somewhat around the yard. We live close to the road and neighbours, so we figure we will have to keep the roaming to a minimum for everyone's sake. We also garden.
Very glad to have found this forum. Seems are though there is a wealth of information here and will definitely help us out since we're learning as we go.
Renee

Back
Top Bottom