Lucky girls, looks like they live in the Garden of Eden. What a beautiful setting Welcome to Backyard Chickens, so glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I do have a question concerning care for the interior of the coop. I used a 3” deep sand base for the flooring of the coop. I read somewhere that you can mix lime pellets into the sand to help keep down odors. I do not want to try this until consulting with others. My fear is that the chickens might scratch up the pellets and eat them. If anyone has experience using sand and has advice on how to maintain and keep it clean I would appreciate the info.

Thank you for the warm welcome.I do have a question concerning care for the interior of the coop. I used a 3” deep sand base for the flooring of the coop. I read somewhere that you can mix lime pellets into the sand to help keep down odors. I do not want to try this until consulting with others. My fear is that the chickens might scratch up the pellets and eat them. If anyone has experience using sand and has advice on how to maintain and keep it clean I would appreciate the info.
Lime pellets mixed into the sand will not harm your chickens. There is a good article on Liming the Chickenhouse at http://tinyfarmblog.com/liming-the-chickenhouse/.

Golden Feather - Went to site you recommended - Great info - Looks like I want to use Agricultural lime - AKA Dolomite and/or AKA Calcium Carbonate. Article said not to use Hydrated Lime that is used to make "whitewash" because it would burn chickens feet.

HighStreetCoop- I checked out the http://www.sweetpdz.com/ammonia-lime.html

Reading the article on the web site it looks like the sweet PDZ product has some advantages over just using Calcium Carbonate alone. The price is not really a deal breaker either - 9.99 for a 25 lbs bag at my local Tractor Supply Store.

The coop seams fine with full ventilation in summer months but I am trying to plan for winter months when the coop is closed up, I think this product will help with moisture and ammonia levels.

We used it all the time with the horses, and I use it with my dog (who's the size of a pony, LOL!). I plan on using it in my brooder and in my coop. We'll see if the run needs it, too.

Back
Top Bottom