New Momma Hen with scaly leg mites

Cover her legs with vasaline. This smothers the mites. I would also treat the chicks.

You can also use coconut oil, shea butter or another vegetable oil if you don't want to use vaseline. Sometimes I will even mix olive oil and beeswax together to make something thicker.

I have found that the younger the bird the less susceptible they are, but just coating with an oil twice a week for three weeks makes it impossible for the mites to survive. You will want to do the whole flock whether they look like they have it or not, and really coat the leg.

Thank you so much. I was worried about it getting on the babies since she is still sitting.
I agree with you that anything you apply to her legs will make a mess of the chicks' down and feathers, and also be very difficult to wash out. Treating with ivermectin would be better if you want to treat your broody now. Here are the treatment dosages for ivermectin, per casportpony:

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml

Back
Top Bottom