New Momma Hen

dlongterry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Ok, We had a Broody Buff and she has been sitting on eggs now and just had one try and hatch out a few minutes ago. It is breathing and is pecking at the shell (the chick) she just got down and left it and is now outside eating. Is this normal? This is our first time. The other 5 are still not doing anything yet. Do we just leave it alone and she will come back and check on it...will she help it or try to hurt it? She is a first time mom as well.

Thanks!!

just let it be! the chicks will find their way out. and yes, they eat right away. they are amazing.
very rarely, a chick will not be strong enough to break the shell compeletely and may need some help from you.
just be very careful if you decide to peel the pieces of shells from the chick. it is a part of it still and you can pull some of its skin or tummy ... Soak the shell and space between the shell and the chick with warm water and VERY carefully try to peel it in small pieces.
please, use this as the last resort.

if some eggs are not hatched in about 24 hours, they are most likely not going to. try to see (in front of light) if there is a chick inside - sometimes they die inside the shell if they are too weak to break it to take breath.

enjoy your little babies.

I agree, leave it. My broodies have gotten off of pipped eggs to eat/bathe/poop/whatever and they've hatched just fine.

The chicks most likely WILL NOT eat right away. They take a couple of days to fully absorb their yolk sac (which is how they can stay in the nest to wait for remaining eggs to hatch or travel thru the mail from a hatchery). I'd also check (candle) the eggs before tossing them. I've had eggs hatch out on day 25 or 26 under unexperienced hens.

Thanks Everyone she is back on the nest and has pushed this one beside here I just checked it and it seems to have made some more progress on the shell. still breathing and seems to be biting at the membrane. Well the momma do anything with it or does she just leave it alone?

Looking at that picture, I wouldn't be surprised if the hen has been pecking it. When chicks hatch, they usually (not always, but most times) zip the entire top off the shell so there are 2 pieces. There's quite a bit of blood there too (not a ton, I wouldn't worry too much about it but it doesn't look quite ready to come out yet). I think I would push that egg up under her so she can't see/peck it.

It seems a bit cruel, but if you have a broody bird just let them do it. Dont help I know it is hard, but if the babies cant hatch on their own they probably wont survive with momma.

As to the egg in the pic did you help it or did it do all that on its own? It looks a bit dry, but should be able to get out.

Back
Top Bottom