New/old member intro

jraelynn18

Chirping
May 28, 2019
West Virginia
Hi! I'm Jennifer. I've been a member for a bit but never did an intro and am just coming back around as we having added significantly to our last bunch. Originally we had 8 RIR - 7 hen and 1 roo. We lost 2 hens pretty early on - one as a baby and the other before she started to even lay. We maintained 6 RIR for about 2 years, then added 10 hens from different breeds (some RIR, a black Australorp, and I'm not really sure what else) from a friend's parents. Then added 2 white Silkies (a roo and a hen) from another friend - they were too much for their small backyard coop and not very nice to their other chickens. In May of 2022, we started losing hens to predators. We took a trip the end of the month and came home to 8 unalived chickens including our RIR rooster and the 2 silkies. We installed an electric door and did ok for a bit until this past winter. We were down to 2 hens left (and a part-time rooster from our neighbors). 😢 So I started researching. Found a local farm with the sweetest farm momma and currently have 6 Buff Orpingtons, 6 RIR, 2 Faverolles, and 7 Barred Rock babies growing very quickly in my house. After this weekend, I will also have 5 Lavender Orps and 5 Light Brahmas babies to add. I love seeing the babies develop their own personalities and love watching their curiosity. I'm currently looking to find small coop plans that can be used for grow out coops or breeding coops.

Hi! I'm Jennifer. I've been a member for a bit but never did an intro and am just coming back around as we having added significantly to our last bunch. Originally we had 8 RIR - 7 hen and 1 roo. We lost 2 hens pretty early on - one as a baby and the other before she started to even lay. We maintained 6 RIR for about 2 years, then added 10 hens from different breeds (some RIR, a black Australorp, and I'm not really sure what else) from a friend's parents. Then added 2 white Silkies (a roo and a hen) from another friend - they were too much for their small backyard coop and not very nice to their other chickens. In May of 2022, we started losing hens to predators. We took a trip the end of the month and came home to 8 unalived chickens including our RIR rooster and the 2 silkies. We installed an electric door and did ok for a bit until this past winter. We were down to 2 hens left (and a part-time rooster from our neighbors). 😢 So I started researching. Found a local farm with the sweetest farm momma and currently have 6 Buff Orpingtons, 6 RIR, 2 Faverolles, and 7 Barred Rock babies growing very quickly in my house. After this weekend, I will also have 5 Lavender Orps and 5 Light Brahmas babies to add. I love seeing the babies develop their own personalities and love watching their curiosity. I'm currently looking to find small coop plans that can be used for grow out coops or breeding coops.
Welcome into BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom