New Pekin Owner BASIC Questions

coleridgedane

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
Marietta, GA
I've searched Stickies & this forum for some basic info & haven't found my answers.

1. Will pekins set?
2. How many are a clutch?
3. How do they decide where to set?
4. How many eggs before they'll set, if ever.

I'm. New 2 ducks & got this mating pair 2 weeks ago. They are in a poultry yard w guineas, gamefowl, young chicks & peas. They have a hay-filled stall to sleep in @ night.

This pair gives me an egg/day. She's decided to lay consistently in a depression outside the stall every day for the last 3 days since I'm not picking them up. (Having see them breed daily, I now know why the drake flops off. TMI? This boy needs to "close the lipstick" a little quicker.Ewwww.)

Since she's now laying in the same place, is she creating a nest? How many will she lay before she sets? Will she ever set?

I'd really not incubate them. I want her to do this naturally. Otherwise I've wasted 3 days of eating eggs.

TIA for any info!

She may be making a nest. Is the place shes laying them, actually look like a nest? She may just be hiding them from the other birds.

They usually lay about 8-12 eggs in a nest, before sitting. I had a rouen duck try and set. She laid 8 eggs, and turned them everyday, never sat though. I didnt let her. It was getting to cold out for babies. Im hoping she sets this year though.... Shes been laying all over the yard though :rolleyes:

(1) Not usually, but I've had a pekin go broody before.
(2) It depends, When mine went broody, it was not her eggs.
(3) Usually were ever they think is safe. Mine always hide their eggs from me
(4) Mine sat on 9 eggs, but I'm sure that won't always be the case.

Back
Top Bottom