New pigeon owner question

bnew17

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2010
GEORGIA
I have about 10 pigeons I bought from someone about 4-5 months ago. She would let them fly around her yard during the day, etc and they would return to the coop. I have not let them out of the coop at my house yet, until one escaped this past weekend and he surprisingly came back and was walking around the outside of the coop later that day.

I want to start releasing 3 or 4 at a time. What is the best way for me to do that? Currently I do not have a bob system or anything in place for them to return and get back in the coop. I assume I need to get that?

What is the best way to get them to start breeding? I have not noticed any breeding yet.

Thanks

I have about 10 pigeons I bought from someone about 4-5 months ago. She would let them fly around her yard during the day, etc and they would return to the coop. I have not let them out of the coop at my house yet, until one escaped this past weekend and he surprisingly came back and was walking around the outside of the coop later that day.

I want to start releasing 3 or 4 at a time. What is the best way for me to do that? Currently I do not have a bob system or anything in place for them to return and get back in the coop. I assume I need to get that?

What is the best way to get them to start breeding? I have not noticed any breeding yet.

Thanks
What breed of pigeon are they? Homers?

To get them to nest simply put up nest boxes; I use plastic milk crate on their side with a thin board across the front.
I am surprised they haven't tried to nest already. Are they pairs? How old are they?

Ample numbers of nesting places spaced as far apart as you can usually is all that needs to be done to get pigeons to nest. That, and a good supply of feed and fresh water.

Just wanted to add to what above poster wrote.:goodpost:

You definitely would benefit from having a trap, and aviary.
One way to train older birds to homeset,,,, let out just one from a pair at a time. When that one returns,,, then let out the other.
Always let out your birds hungry when training. Once they are well homeset,, you can let out hungry, or fed. Fed pigeons may decide to chill in your trees instead of coming into loft. That is what I did. Mine were homeset mostly because born in my loft. They would go cruising, for a loft flight, and then hang out on my roof,, or tree branches. In the eve,, or late afternoon, they returned to loft. Some did not want to loft fly,,, and stayed behind in aviary.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

When releasing pigeons to free fly, the timing is important. Some breeds like fantails and trumpeters accept a new home quickly as they are not the best of fliers. Others, like homers and rollers take a long time to accept a new loft. I've kept both breed locked in the loft for a year. Even so, once released they immediately headed for their old loft. That is why I asked the breed you have. Common barn pigeons take up to six months. And a lot depends on the age of the birds. Young birds accept a new home much faster than old one. If you have homers, quality also plays a part. The best homers can be very hard to get to accept a new loft. When a person buys and plans on free-flying, the younger the birds they buy, the better.

I am not sure what type of pigeons they are. I can take a picture of them if that may help? They are definitely not "young". I have had them for 4-5 months and they were full grown when I got them. I have a loft, but it could probably be improved. I need to add some bedding material and maybe that would kickstart the breeding, possibly?

I am not sure what type of pigeons they are. I can take a picture of them if that may help? They are definitely not "young". I have had them for 4-5 months and they were full grown when I got them. I have a loft, but it could probably be improved. I need to add some bedding material and maybe that would kickstart the breeding, possibly?
Yes, a picture would help in identifying the breed. Nest boxes and nesting material will help induce breeding. Pigeons like stiff grasses to build with; straw, hay, or any dried grasses. My loft needs improvement too. At just four feet tall it's a pain to do anything with-I need to double the height so I can enter without being bent over the whole time I'm inside.

Thanks, I will get some pictures. What is the best way to get a hold of the pigeon, if say you were going to let one out to fly? Do you use a net? Don't know how else I would catch them without one.

Thanks, I will get some pictures. What is the best way to get a hold of the pigeon, if say you were going to let one out to fly? Do you use a net? Don't know how else I would catch them without one.
Yes, I use a net when I have to catch one. You don't have to catch one for a picture.
My little flock is free to fly at any time as they are no longer closed in.

Back
Top Bottom