New quail hatchling issue....

It moves around in the bator and is slowly finding its legs. Other than this the only difference I see is slower to get going than the others. But definitely willful.

He was probably slow to absorb his yolk. In a few days you shouldn't be able to tell him apart from the others. Just give him time, most of these types heal over just fine. :)

Should it stay in the bator until then or would it be ok to put it in the brooder with the others? I'm just worried that the others would peck at it. Also, can I give quail nutri-drench? (Sorry for all the questions. My first four were fully grown so this is my first go around with this kind of chicks....

Should it stay in the bator until then or would it be ok to put it in the brooder with the others? I'm just worried that the others would peck at it. Also, can I give quail nutri-drench? (Sorry for all the questions. My first four were fully grown so this is my first go around with this kind of chicks....

Definitely remove him from the incubator when he is fully dry. Yes you might separate him for 24 hours maybe less, until he absorbs the sac. It shouldn't take too awful long. Either set up another brooder (put 1 buddy in with him) or make a temp divider in your brooder and put the lamp directly over the divider so both sides share. He should be normal in a day or so.

Nutridrench tends to give them diarrhea. You are better off with Poly Vi Sol or even just probiotics. I start all chicks of all species on probiotics for the first several weeks of life daily. Helps pump up the immune system, chicks need as much immunity as quick as possible.

Definitely remove him from the incubator when he is fully dry. Yes you might separate him for 24 hours maybe less, until he absorbs the sac. It shouldn't take too awful long. Either set up another brooder (put 1 buddy in with him) or make a temp divider in your brooder and put the lamp directly over the divider so both sides share. He should be normal in a day or so.

Nutridrench tends to give them diarrhea. You are better off with Poly Vi Sol or even just probiotics. I start all chicks of all species on probiotics for the first several weeks of life daily. Helps pump up the immune system, chicks need as much immunity as quick as possible.

I'll look and see if tractor supply has the poly vi Sol. I know I have tons of probiotic and electrolyte packets. We pick up a handful every time we go whether we need them or not. I'll try the divider thing. I already have a smaller tub inside a bigger tub set up to keep the chicken chicks separate from the quail chicks. Lol. Lots of chicks at our place right now. Thank you so much. When they hatch no issues it's easy. But this is the first time I've ever had curled toes or the yolk sac unabsorbed. Figures it would happen with my first quail hatch. Also some of it I think might be due to a crash and burn session. The cat knocked over the bator after the first chick hatched. We saved a lot of eggs and the chick but lost a lot and it was a mess.

I'll look and see if tractor supply has the poly vi Sol. I know I have tons of probiotic and electrolyte packets. We pick up a handful every time we go whether we need them or not. I'll try the divider thing. I already have a smaller tub inside a bigger tub set up to keep the chicken chicks separate from the quail chicks. Lol. Lots of chicks at our place right now. Thank you so much. When they hatch no issues it's easy. But this is the first time I've ever had curled toes or the yolk sac unabsorbed. Figures it would happen with my first quail hatch. Also some of it I think might be due to a crash and burn session. The cat knocked over the bator after the first chick hatched. We saved a lot of eggs and the chick but lost a lot and it was a mess.

Poly Vi Sol is a liquid childrens vitamin. Its got it all. You can get this at Wamart in the vitamin section. Make SURE you get the stuff without iron. You can dose them orally (2 or so drops per bird under the tongue) you could squeeze out some on hard boiled eggs or 1-2 ml Poly per quart of water. Change and make a new batch daily. If they are eating well, I wouldn't use vitamins daily. A couple times a week is all they need if they are eating properly. Vitamins are wonderful for sick, injured, weak, molting or birds that just need a boost.

Sorry about the cat episode! Stuff happens.

:)

Poly Vi Sol is a liquid childrens vitamin. Its got it all. You can get this at Wamart in the vitamin section. Make SURE you get the stuff without iron. You can dose them orally (2 or so drops per bird under the tongue) you could squeeze out some on hard boiled eggs or 1-2 ml Poly per quart of water. Change and make a new batch daily. If they are eating well, I wouldn't use vitamins daily. A couple times a week is all they need if they are eating properly. Vitamins are wonderful for sick, injured, weak, molting or birds that just need a boost.

Sorry about the cat episode! Stuff happens.

:)
She got a short scolding and the cold shoulder for an hour or so, but I couldn't get mad at her for her nature. She is after all the only one who truly keeps our house rodent free. And it was my fault for having it where she could knock it over. All birds and eggs have been moved to the safety of the bathroom, which is now dubbed the chick hospital in our house. She apologised with a lot of sucking up and cuddles which isn't really her style.

On a sad note, the yolk sac baby didn't make it. Came home and found it had died. Poor fellow. It was a bit late tonight but I will be near a Walmart tomorrow so we will pick some up while we are out.

She got a short scolding and the cold shoulder for an hour or so, but I couldn't get mad at her for her nature. She is after all the only one who truly keeps our house rodent free. And it was my fault for having it where she could knock it over. All birds and eggs have been moved to the safety of the bathroom, which is now dubbed the chick hospital in our house. She apologised with a lot of sucking up and cuddles which isn't really her style.

On a sad note, the yolk sac baby didn't make it. Came home and found it had died. Poor fellow. It was a bit late tonight but I will be near a Walmart tomorrow so we will pick some up while we are out.

Oh I am so sorry the little guy didn't make it. :hugs He obviously had something going on inside. My condolences. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom