Announcement New Required Field - Why Join BYC - Anti Spam

Nifty I had someone about a yr ago join and was giving me a terrible time. Reporting every fart I let and talking nasty to me. To my surprise and delight @TwoCrows was able to track this person down for me and Guess what ? Was my very own grandson living with me. Not only did he get kicked from here but he lost all kinds of privileges including the computer. I was very thankful to her.

:frow :hugs

I had forgotten what I put on the required field so just looked. Must have been in a hurry or something, all I did was put a . in it.

I promise I'm not a spammer! By now I don't remember why I joined, I'm just glad I did!

We recently added a new profile filed in our member's "personal details" page that asks the question: "What’s your main reason for joining our community?"

We made this required for all new members for two reasons:
  1. It helps us to make sure we're meeting the needs of people joining our great community
  2. It assists with weeding out spammers (especially foreign ones) that don't know how to answer that question very well ;)
So, if you go into your account and try to edit any of your "personal details" , you'll be required to also update that field.

View attachment 1051168
That will be another field that will pop up an error is an existing member goes to the settings page to change something else and leaves it blank?

That confuses members quite often. I will have to test it out to see if there is a better error message not.

I see that the error looks very obvious now! Nice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom