New rollout nest design Picture heavy-edited 1/21

Pics
Nice workmanship Sam! Thanks for the pictures.
big_smile.png

Hardly a week goes by without someone asking for additional information on this or the 2 nest box. I'm glad that it has worked for so many.

I currently have 24 hens in the coop with the 6 nest box but I'm sure it would accomodate a dozen more quite easily. Beside they rarely use for than 3 of the nests. The top three seem to be the most popular although the heavier hens opt for the lower ones.

The beginning of this thread details construction of the six nest box. If you need the 2 nest box, email and I reply with plans.

Well Opa, I followed your instructions and am very pleased with the final product. Thank you. Thought I would comment on a couple of issues I encountered, for the benefit of others.

I painted with primer and than added several coats of gloss enamel, as the resulting finish seems to clean up nicely. Since the hens seem to prefer a darkened nestbox, I painted the inside fronts with some leftover dark brown paint. I plan to add "modesty curtains" to cover the entrances, and perches after the unit is mounted. (I copied the checkerboard pattern on the back after someone else's nestbox I saw on this site. Sorry, I don't remember to whom I should give credit.)

I ended up with a lip on the front bottom nest boxes of about 1 1/2 in, and on the top row lip of about 3 1/2 inches. I don't know if this was by Opa design, and I don't see it is an issue, but I suspect they will prefer the upper boxes since they will sit lower in them. The floors are painted 1/4 inch thick plywood, and I just have them sitting on the ramps. In this way I can occassionally take them out, clean underneath and add a little Seven dust or DE. When you are making the partitions, and establishing the size of the opening through which the eggs will pass, remember to factor in the thickness of the nestpads.

One question for you, Opa. Did you affix the nestpads to the floor ramp in any way, or do you just let them sit on it? I'm wondering if the chickens will dislodge them without having them tacked into place.
RolloutBack.jpg

RolloutFront.jpg

Schroeder I glad the plans worked out for you. I have been very happy with how well they have worked for me and wanted to share.

You wouldn't want to permanently attach the nest pads. I occasionally take them out and bang them against something to knock the droppings out of them. Also an incredible amount of dirt, droppings, etc filter through the pads and wind up underneath. I've found that I need to clean the boxes every couple of weeks. Chickens are unbelieveably dirty birds.

Thanks Opa!!! I too passed your link to a friend who does woodworking and he built me a 4 nest box. I have painted it with one coat of primer and 3 coats of gloss white. The interior nest area is painted white. It makes sense the hens may prefer a darken interior. I may just have to look through my paint supply and put a coat of dark paint in the interior. My friend did a fabulous job building the nest boxes with the help of Opa's plans. My husband is installing it our new coop this week. I will take photos and when we get it installed. The hatchery is suppose to be sending my little peeps out in the month of April. They won't be needing the nest boxes for quite some time
sad.png
. But at least I will have it done and ready when they need it:).

Last edited:
Diggergal, I'm glad the thread gave you help in building a rollout nest box. It seems that not a week goes by without my forwarding pictures and plans of my two nest design to several folks and it appears that this six nest box is just as popular.

Back
Top Bottom