Muhammad Ahtisham Ali

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2017
Hello everyone. I just signed up on this forum and found it useful so I thought I should post here. Well I bought a new rooster yesterday for my hens. The problem is that he is so scared and doesn't eats anything. The hens get aggressive when he passes by them. I know it will take him some time to adjust in his new home. But what I am really concerned about is it's been 2 days he hasn't eaten anything. Can anyone help me with this? How can I get him to eat?

Hello everyone. I just signed up on this forum and found it useful so I thought I should post here. Well I bought a new rooster yesterday for my hens. The problem is that he is so scared and doesn't eats anything. The hens get aggressive when he passes by them. I know it will take him some time to adjust in his new home. But what I am really concerned about is it's been 2 days he hasn't eaten anything. Can anyone help me with this? How can I get him to eat?

:welcome glad you stopped in
he may have eaten in the night but he will settle in may take a little time
girls can be intimidating to a new man

How old is he? How old are the hens?

Honestly is probably just pecking order and he's new so they haven't accepted him. My rooster (turned out to be a pullet) was 10w when we got her. 3 or 4 of my hens chased her and pecked her. Space and hiding places have been her best friend. Of course it's gotten better but like my mama chicken takes her chicks out early morning to eat before most of the others got off the roosts this chickens would head down early to get her foll too. As time moved on though she has learned who she can eat or drink near, who she can walk past, and who to avoid. But she's only 20 weeks now and still not laying so she's not a full fledged flock member to most of then yet. Heck my mama hen just moved back to the roost and is on the second bar, the 20w pullet is still in the 4th bar.

If the hens are to aggressive its best to section of a small run (with in the main run) for him until they are all better adjusted and provide him his own feed and water. If he's not fully mature it may take a while as older hens can often reject a mature young rooster, if he's a bit older they all just need time to accept thier new member

Thanks to all here for taking out time to reply my thread. The rooster about 6 months old so are the Hens. The main concern is that he doesn't eats. I tried to keep him in a different section under the same coop so they all can see each other but not interact. I gave him separate feed and water but he still doesn't eats anything. Should I keep him out of their sight? Will this encourage him to start eating in his new home?

Hello Muhammad, welcome. First make sure he is not sick. Your girls, most likely, have just started laying. So, they are attacking the food like piranhas. It is also important to know his breed, also his size compared to the hens. Sounds like he has not had time to mature and is lacking confidence. The hens sense this and are taking advantage. He needs to have a separate area for a few more months. Perhaps, a crate in your garage where he can sleep and eat. Give him some supervised free ranging during the day. Also, slice up some black or red grapes, greens and apples for him. See if that gets his appetite going. You can also try offering him a tablespoon of shredded beef or scrambled eggs. Protein is an excellent booster!

Thanks to all here for helping out. He's started behaving normal and eats as well. But still lacks confidence. I hope he will be fine after spending a few more days or weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom