New roosters.. pics! (starter chickens..)

Ginevive

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Here they are! We were going to get some more from the city that were rescues, but the neighbor ended up eating all of them.. kinda scary when you consider the drugs they give those things..
Anyway, here goes! These boys were owned by my friend for awhile now and are actually inserperable. They lived in a pig stall and are now in one of my horse's 12 x12 box stalls.. They were simple to catch and are not afaid nor aggressive. As for my horse.. we'll see how she likes her new roommates when the weather gets bad and I have to bring her in.. I have some more options for them if that does not work out, and at her old barn, there were always chickens in every stall laying eggs, etc..
Here goes! They are big and fatties. We are hoping that the semi-feral rescue hen comes out to see them so we can nab her. She is now roosting in a tree next to the barn (she was from a fighting ring that got raided thankfully.)

redwhite2.jpg

thirsty
smile.png

reddrinkgin.jpg

Strutting his stuff

[[URL]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ToadwoodAcres/whote1.jpg/img[/URL]]

Are you talkn' to Me??

[IMG]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/ToadwoodAcres/redchikn.jpg

Last edited:
As for my horse.. we'll see how she likes her new roommates when the weather gets bad and I have to bring her in..

Someone on the Other BYC had their horse roll over on a chicken and smush it down to a pancake. So I would be cautious.

They are beautiful roos though!
wink.png

Quote:
Someone on the Other BYC had their horse roll over on a chicken and smush it down to a pancake. So I would be cautious.

They are beautiful roos though!
wink.png

Really??? Wow...
I keep mine away for the corrals and arena because I don't want them to get stomped on.

I keep mine away for the corrals and arena because I don't want them to get stomped on.

I had a meat bird and a 7 week old turkey killed last night because one of our horses stepped on them. Not just stepped on them on accident but actually stomped them because they got in her way. My kids were freaking because they saw the whole thing and the chicks were laying there twitching. I had my husband quickly take them away and put them out of their misery.

Our new coop should be done in the next couple of days so they won't have to stay in the barn anymore.

Take care,

Tami​

Yeah; I keep the horses outside 90% of the time and only really bring them in if it is going to T-storm this time of year. So we have a few weeks to build something. I made a cage, but it is woefully small and I was thinking we were getting small bantams; not these mega guys
smile.png
So for now things are OK. I could definately picture a mare panicking and running around the stall and accidentally squishing one; I could see that. But if a horse is confined, I guess that the fight response could come out if they feel threatened..
So how do these guys look? What breeds do you think they are?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom