New to back yard chicken

MerkySky

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Hello,
I am new to this idea of having back yard chickens. I really only want 4 high productive non brooding ones that lay brown eggs. I have picked my 4 from Meyer hatchery but they are not available until June 4Th. I choose this Hatchery because the limit is 3 chickens instead of most places requiring 15 or more.
Here are my choices any advice would be greatly appreciated
Barred Rock
Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
Partridge Rock
Golden Bluff

I like a few others that were not available.
This hatchery had pretty good prices also.
We have the room we own a landscape business and have plenty of land. I would like to grass feed as much as possible so I want to build a Mobile hutch for them but also keep them in the winter months...I live in Northern Indiana.
I will read through much of the site to gather ideas on how best to do this. One question is if I get the chicks in June when do they start to actually lay eggs?
Thanks everyone
MerkySky
smile.png

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Hens start laying at 25 weeks, on average. But it depends on the breeds. Lighter breeds start sooner than heavier breeds.

The Golden Buff will probably lay around 20 weeks since it's a production bird. The others closer to 25 weeks. I've ordered chicks from Meyer several times and have been really pleased with them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom