New To BackYard Chickens

PC Charming

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
Hello - I have found so much valuable information and help on this site - thank you to all of you for being so kind as to share your dos and don'ts with those of us who are new to this amazing chicken world! I think I have some rats stealing (and eating) eggs out of my coop and do not know how to get rid of them. I put 4 fake eggs in the boxes to see if it was one of my chickens breaking eggs - and the real eggs were stolen out of the coop yesterday and today - and there is only 1 fake egg left. :( Any tips on a humane way to rid my life (and my girls lives) of nasty rats?

Candi

Attachments

• Fishing Photo Bomb.jpg
    Fishing Photo Bomb.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 6
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry about the rats. You need to find where they are getting in and seal that off. If rats can fit, so can weasels, snakes and other critters to get in. If these rats are still in the coop, you need to set rat traps at night in corners the birds cant get to, create some sort of barrier, desensitize the traps first thing in the morning and kill these rats. Their droppings alone if consumed by the birds can make the birds sick.

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Back
Top Bottom