New to Backyard

Lynns Chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 19, 2014
I was raised on a farm and there were always chickens, pigs, cow, dogs and cats around when I was growing up. I always thought my parents were crazy raising chickens when they were older, why not just go out and buy your eggs? Now I realize the joy of raising and talking to my chickens. My husband and I built our chicken pen and coop. We added on a run, built around a muddiness vine. I am adding pictures. Notice the feeder, it is a bird feeder I got at Tractor Supply. I think it is very cute and it does the job great. I also added a cabinet garage door that I had left from a kitchen remodel that I put between the coop and the run that I can open and close as needed. I kept my smaller chickens separated with this for a while.

I have been enjoying reading all about chickens on this site.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I've had chickens for 4 months

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Six
(3) What breeds do you have?Two 5 month old
Dominiques, two 5 month old and two 2 month old Australorps.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? the internet

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? camping, fishing, yard sales

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My husband and I have two grown children and 4 grandchildren. We have one dog, two cats and 6 chickens. I drive a special needs bus and my husband is the monitor on the bus. We love all the special children on our bus and our job.

Hello!!
welcome-byc.gif
... My name is Farm316 and I specialize in Ducks, But do have 18 chickens,
2: Black sex-links
2: Yellow Comets
4: Rhode Island Reds
1: Gray Polish
2: White Brahmas
2: Gray Brahma's
1: Rooster Americauna- Easter egger
1: Female Americauna
3: Unknown breeds

If you would like to see my farm here is a URL https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/farm316s-farm
That has 13 of my chickens... (i haven't gotten any of my Brahmas or Americauna's)

I have been on BYC for 3 months and I love it!
I hope that you have found some amazing advice from our knowledge!

Sincerely Farm316.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! I love your set-up and that bird feeder is just precious.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Very lovely coop and run! Love the idea of a wild bird feeder to feed your chickens! Never thought of that. Great idea!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thanks for the pics. You have a very good and thorough introduction. Your coop looks very nice, but you might want to consider replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth, or else attaching hardware cloth over the chicken wire as there are just too many predators that can either tear through chicken wire or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. Hardware cloth is more expensive than chicken wire, but it is cheaper than replacing your flock. Hardware cloth has saved many chicken owners a lot of tears. Black Australorps are my favorite breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom