NEW TO BYC and to CHICKENS!!!

Naptownsurfgirl

In the Brooder
Sep 18, 2017
HI all- I live in the Fallbrook area and have 7 hens 2-3 years old and a new batch of chicks that have been hatched with a broody hen just recently.

This is my first time raising chickens and caring for them in general so I am learning everything from you all and whatever feed store I'm buying supplies from at the time.

I appreciate everyones insight and responses and will do my best to respond to things that I have gone through as well. It may take me a while to participate with knowledge but I can share experiences at the least!

We had 5 out of 8 eggs hatch, one was a half hatched and didn't make it. The other two were not developed (I candled them - thanks to you all on this site)

Next for me is building a coop and protecting these chicks then introducing them to the new flock.

I'll let everyone know any tips I might come up with while I go through the learning process.

G’Day from down under Naptownsurfgirl :frow Welcome and Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hello Naptownsurfgirl. Welcome to BYC! There is tons of info here and very good people to help you on your journey as a new chicken owner. :)

If you want to get the most out of BYC, I suggest you do the following:
  • For general education, spend some time browsing the Articles link above and possibly the Learning Center. You will find excellent information for both newbies and long-time chicken owners there.
  • When you have specific questions, most of the time a quick search will come up with the answers.
  • If you don't find anything useful that way, post your question in an appropriate sub-forum. People here are very helpful and will answer your question even it has been asked 100 times before.
I recommend you check out the Coops area for ideas on your coop.

Enjoy your time here.

HI all- I live in the Fallbrook area and have 7 hens 2-3 years old and a new batch of chicks that have been hatched with a broody hen just recently.

This is my first time raising chickens and caring for them in general so I am learning everything from you all and whatever feed store I'm buying supplies from at the time.

I appreciate everyones insight and responses and will do my best to respond to things that I have gone through as well. It may take me a while to participate with knowledge but I can share experiences at the least!

We had 5 out of 8 eggs hatch, one was a half hatched and didn't make it. The other two were not developed (I candled them - thanks to you all on this site)

Next for me is building a coop and protecting these chicks then introducing them to the new flock.

I'll let everyone know any tips I might come up with while I go through the learning process.

you have been given some great advice glad here of broody doing so well
al may add is my best wishes as you go forth the site will see you through most all you may come across and most of us are here to help any way we might

Back
Top Bottom