New to byc. New coturnix farmer

coturnix condos

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2016
Vancouver wa

Wanted to say thanks for all the great advice I got from all of you. I have been trolling this site for a long time deciding on my design. I went with a 3x5coop attached to a 5x7 aviary for my quail. Getting baby chicks tomorrow and I'm stoked. I'm living and breathing quail right now

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Quail are great to keep and lively little birds. I really enjoyed hatching and raising mine. Unfortunately the dog did not like them! Many of us were lurkers before joining, me included. Good luck with your quail. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Hi and welcome to BYC. Exciting times ahead for you I am sure - i wish you all the best with them.

CT

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Quail are great to keep and lively little birds. I really enjoyed hatching and raising mine. Unfortunately the dog did not like them! Many of us were lurkers before joining, me included. Good luck with your quail. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

I have 2 pugs and I'm not sure how they are going to respond. I was thinking of putting some plywood sheets on the bottom couple feet to give them some privacy. Any advise

I have 2 pugs and I'm not sure how they are going to respond. I was thinking of putting some plywood sheets on the bottom couple feet to give them some privacy. Any advise

I would but I'm only going the experience I had with my terrier. She has never bothered the chickens or even chicks at all and I was thinking it would be the same with quail but she had other ideas!! She saw them as nice bite size snack! She did all she could to get to them and in the end managed to get one through the wire and she killed the poor little thing. I put an extra run around them but she got her self in such a state over the quail I rehomed them for everyone's sanity. I'm of the thinking she was more interested in them because they smelt more game like.

Fingers crossed your pugs wil be accepting and get on with them ok. Just don't leave them unattended with each other.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. We hear so often from people who have had their flocks destroyed, usually by their own dog or cats, I just believe THEY should never meet or share the same yard. Sooner or later someone will let the dog out, forgetting chickens are there. Always a poor outcome.

I don't know how Pugs would react but, I wouldn't give them the chance. People often hold out a chick for the dog to sniff. The dog thinks he is getting a treat and good by chick. When chickens get disturbed and fly and run around wildly, dogs find it irresistible - then it's game on for them. Game over for birds.

Back
Top Bottom