New to BYC

Slimp Farm

Hatching
Jun 23, 2016
He everyone from Benton KY. I am so excited to find a place to talk about my flock and get the information i need. Well alittle bit about myself....

About 2 years ago my 4 year old daughter (now 6) brought home 3 baby chicks. We lived in town at the time so i didnt really know how i was going to take care of these babies but my daughter loves all animals so i did what any good mother would do. I built a coop the best i knew how with what i had (old dog pen). We raised them inside until they were big enough to go outside. First night in the coop something got all of them. My daughter was devastated so i went out bought chicken wire and reinforced the coop, then bought 2 more chickens already old enough to go outside. I sat up all night watching for what was bothering them and come to find out it was opossum. I sat some live traps and took care of that situation, then went out to buy more older chickens. At this point im starting to enjoy having them. So we ended up with 3 rhode island reds and 1 barred rock all hens. All was good, I built a run on their coop because they couldn't free range in town, i collected eggs, checked on them all the time, made sure they were warm during the winter and happy girls.

At the beginning of this year we moved out of town to a place that had a nice big yard with a big pond out front and a nice creek on the side of the property. Now my ladies would be able to free range and they loved it. Well the previous owners of the house had 3 ducks (1 pekin male, 1 pekin female, 1 magpie female) which refused to leave so they became my ducks. They weren't used to people so i couldn't touch them or get real close. I feed them everyday at the same time and they started to come closer. Then i noticed they were laying eggs but something was eating them they didnt have a safe place to lay eggs and raise babies so I built them a floating duck house. Now both females started laying eggs and sitting on them. Then one night a fox, or raccoon, or something killed one of the females (pekin). The magpie female took over all the eggs and sat on them constantly.

So long story short lol i love my birds, I now have 2 adult ducks with 12 ducklings (was 13 until a hawk came) who are now 4 weeks old, 6 chickens (2 are 2 months old, 4 are 2 years old) and one of those hatched 2 ducklings that were left behind (also 4 weeks old). Im still really new to the duck raising so i have alot of questions about those. Im getting the hang of the chickens. I added the younger 2 chickens a week ago so my older girls are not being very nice and im trying to figure out how to keep them safe. I really think they are just doing the pecking order thing and im sure they will stop eventually. I also have 1 chicken that lays on the nest all day long for some reason she never did before but after the other one hatched 2 ducks i guess she wanted her own. We dont have a rooster so she will have to wait till next spring when my ducks start mating again.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
It sounds like you got to enjoy this wonderful hobby after that bumpy start and the losses. So sorry to hear about those… Trial and error as we learn? Unless you're going to find some fertile eggs for sale somewhere for that broody hen of yours (that is always an option
wink.png
) you should break her broodiness, so she doesn't waste away on that nest. They lose quite a lot of weight, sitting like that and barely eating. The most effective method I know if to put the hen in a wire-bottom cage with nothing but food and water for a few days.

Enjoy the site and we'll see you on the forum!

Thank you for the information. I make her get out of the nest every day to eat and drink. I close the coop so she cant get in there until dark but she goes right back to the nest. I remove the eggs but the other girls lay their eggs there too so she just steals theirs lol. If i had known she was going to sit on the eggs i would have let her hatch some ducks i had 2 more late hatchers but i gave them away for someone else to finish hatching when both my mommas stopped sitting. I will keep working with her, I do have a separate small pen if i need to put her in it but hopefully she will stop soon if i keep her from going in the coop. I still have to do alittle work to the coop to accommodate by 2 ducklings they don't care to much for going in the nesting boxes they are too high for them so i got to make a box on the ground for them.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry for all your losses!
hugs.gif
Predators are just awful. And it does take a while to get the hang of things and keep your birds safe.

However you have certainly come to the right place for all the fun and learning! We have the knowledge for the answers you seek.

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have. Welcome to our roost! :)

He everyone from Benton KY. I am so excited to find a place to talk about my flock and get the information i need. Well alittle bit about myself....

About 2 years ago my 4 year old daughter (now 6) brought home 3 baby chicks. We lived in town at the time so i didnt really know how i was going to take care of these babies but my daughter loves all animals so i did what any good mother would do. I built a coop the best i knew how with what i had (old dog pen). We raised them inside until they were big enough to go outside. First night in the coop something got all of them. My daughter was devastated so i went out bought chicken wire and reinforced the coop, then bought 2 more chickens already old enough to go outside. I sat up all night watching for what was bothering them and come to find out it was opossum. I sat some live traps and took care of that situation, then went out to buy more older chickens. At this point im starting to enjoy having them. So we ended up with 3 rhode island reds and 1 barred rock all hens. All was good, I built a run on their coop because they couldn't free range in town, i collected eggs, checked on them all the time, made sure they were warm during the winter and happy girls.

At the beginning of this year we moved out of town to a place that had a nice big yard with a big pond out front and a nice creek on the side of the property. Now my ladies would be able to free range and they loved it. Well the previous owners of the house had 3 ducks (1 pekin male, 1 pekin female, 1 magpie female) which refused to leave so they became my ducks. They weren't used to people so i couldn't touch them or get real close. I feed them everyday at the same time and they started to come closer. Then i noticed they were laying eggs but something was eating them they didnt have a safe place to lay eggs and raise babies so I built them a floating duck house. Now both females started laying eggs and sitting on them. Then one night a fox, or raccoon, or something killed one of the females (pekin). The magpie female took over all the eggs and sat on them constantly.

So long story short lol i love my birds, I now have 2 adult ducks with 12 ducklings (was 13 until a hawk came) who are now 4 weeks old, 6 chickens (2 are 2 months old, 4 are 2 years old) and one of those hatched 2 ducklings that were left behind (also 4 weeks old). Im still really new to the duck raising so i have alot of questions about those. Im getting the hang of the chickens. I added the younger 2 chickens a week ago so my older girls are not being very nice and im trying to figure out how to keep them safe. I really think they are just doing the pecking order thing and im sure they will stop eventually. I also have 1 chicken that lays on the nest all day long for some reason she never did before but after the other one hatched 2 ducks i guess she wanted her own. We dont have a rooster so she will have to wait till next spring when my ducks start mating again.
Well
@Slimp Farm that really sucks about all those losses, but I know you will get through it
hugs.gif
Also I would like to say
welcome-byc.gif
!
Well your intro was very cool and I loved reading it, and it gave me some more interest in chickens so thanks! You wrote a lot so this post will be all about welcoming so I will have another post talking about your flock. So I wanted to welcome you to BYC. I always leave links that I hope people can check out to help them get used to the forum. If you do not understand how the forums work you will soon figure it out. So I wanted to leave some links for you...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
This is the Learning Center link and it is the only one I will go into detail. I just want to tell you that you should definitely check this one out because I can guarantee you will learn something new. The rest are for more specific areas of question while the Learning Center holds more articles and is broader.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I hope these links help and I just wanted to welcome you to our roost and I hope you stay with us a long time. I wish you the best of luck!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Alright so as I promised this is the post about your flock. I must say that you have a very unique flock! I especially love the fact that the ducks stayed because they were so used to it! It is always great when nature gives you a free pet especially a awesome one like a duck. I mean who doesn't love ducks! Anyone who doesn't shouldn't tell
duc.gif
me because I will lose my mind lol. Anyway I love your personality and your interest in chickens and your authority over your flock are your experience. I love everything about you based on your intro!
love.gif

I hope you and your flock do not suffer any more losses because it would be very sad for you I can predict.
hit.gif

Also if you ever want to post pics of your flock and how they are doing post them here, I would love to see pics!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

I hope you and your flock are enjoying yourself and if your chickens ever run into a predator tell them to duck under a chair
hide.gif
. That probably wont work but I wish you the best of luck and I know your flock will do great!
Justin
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC. You may want to check out the predator threads and the coop section to find ways to keep the predators away. It can be a full time job. I'm sorry you have had so many issues. It sounds like you do your best to provide well for them

Thank you everyone for making me feel welcome. I really enjoy reading about others experiences and i will be posting my experiences, questions, and pictures of all my animals.

Back
Top Bottom