New to BYC!

gtoliver

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm new to raising chickens as well as this website and forum.

I have 11 chickens: 9 Golden Comets and 2 Asian Black chickens. (I originally had 12, but unfortunately lost one a few weeks ago). I bought them at my local Tractor Supply about 6 weeks ago, and just moved them outside into the coop that I built.

I do have a few questions:
- I've been feeding them 24% starter since day one. When should I start using a different feed, and what feed do you recommend?
- I'd like to also supplement that food with food scraps (like vegetables, fruit, etc.). When should I start doing that, and what is safe for them to eat?
- When should I set up a run for the chickens and allow them to explore outside the coop?

Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate any tips/tricks.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2497.jpeg
    IMG_2497.jpeg
    566.6 KB · Views: 6
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Once the reach laying age maturity, somewhere around 5+ months, you should get them on a layer feed with about 16% protein. 24% protein is a bit high now as well, you might lower that to 18%. When ever you make a feed change to a different brand, always mix the old feed in the the new for a few weeks as to not cause digestive issues.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

:welcome

As far as giving the flock table scraps and treats, you'll want to keep that to a minimum to avoid health issues (or the birds filling up on goodies and not eating their feed). Here's a good article from the Learning Center about what you can and should not treat them with:
Chicken Treat Chart—the Best Treats for Backyard Chickens

Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom