new to BYC

1newchickontheblock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Eastern MA
Greetings all!
I am new to BYC, and not even a fledgling chicken owner yet!

I will be getting some chicks in the spring - thinking about a Silver Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex, an Easter Egger, Jersey Giant, and a Barred Rock or Dominique. And a couple of little Silkies for my daughter. Nothing's carved in stone yet - still TBD.. Would appreciate any feedback on breeds (must be docile/friendly, at least good egg layers, and can tolerate cold weather - we live in New England) I've done a lot of research already, and thse seem to fit the bill...

I will be attempting coop construction on my own (with a little help!) - those prebuilt coops are so darned expensive!!

I also have 1 husband, 2 kids (1 of each) 1 dog - trying to live as green as we can... :)

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
from western Kentucky! You're gonna LOVE this place! There are many, MANY friendly people who are very generous with their time and experience. Take the time to read the "chickens101" page at the beginning, and go through the coop / run section for some marvelous ideas on housing set ups. Get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, pull up a chair, and make yourself at home! (but be warned: when they said BYC is addictive, they WEREN'T kidding!!!)
welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from Oklahoma!

There's plenty of enablers here. Sounds like you have a great potential for a chicken addiction.

Be sure to get breeds with smaller combs to endure your cold temps. Like the Dominique over the Barred Rock. This morning it's 10 degrees outside and I'm worried about all my single comb chickens. Where I'm at it's not uncommon to wear shorts year around. (Not happening this year though!) It's very apparent that you have been researching. EE hens are so sweet. Watch out for their roos though some are mean. Sussex are another sweet breed. Of course, Silkies are an excellent choice for little girls.

Quote:
thanks, Dandelion! That is helpful re the dominique - that was something I hadn't discovered.. (and no roosters allowed where I am, ie the suburbs:)

Back
Top Bottom