New To Byc

bellabluerunner

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 24, 2011
Idaho
Hello Everyone,

I started this after receiving 3 chocolate Runner ducklings 4 days ago, one of which sadly didn't make the journey, which can happen. I'm happy to say they have been the light of our house, mostly our Boxer Dog who has taken to motherhood which she never had. I've been a country girl at heart and soul, but a city girl by demand. We have 3 Llamas whom my husband would love to see leave the field, lawn mowers really. We have 15 chickens buff orpington's, which has by far been the best bird in the 7 years of raising chickens, they are friendly, gentle and just great to have around, oh yeah and they lay brown eyes!; We have 4 grown runner ducks, two of which are laying on 15 eggs each , and you ask why I had to purchase more? We'll get to that later. Lastly a turkey named sparkles, which my husband brought home last November from a local bird auction, in a mid life crisis I suspect. I don't like to admit at times but he's been the joy to watch for a year now. Funny, because my dad would have a totally different story, like "why isn't it on your dinner table"! Animal lover, but a realistic one at that, I am. So currently I'm nursing a sick duck who has had a lung infection for the 2nd year and with her sitting on eggs we are treating with antibiotics and heat. Keeping our fingers crossed to a full recovery. See I've learned a lot of hard lessons in this "back yard chicken/duck raising" We've named our coop "death valley" to "Hotel" throughout my years of lessons, we've opened shells that had five more days, hence this is why I made a purchase of baby runner ducklings currently in my living room. We've learned about fox, coyotes, dogs, skunks and all kinds of hungry animals out for a free lunch. My passion for animals never seems to be diminished by these mishaps, and I certainly stand to learn a lot more with time. So here I am to hear about your experiences and expertise on handling and caring for Chickens/ ducks/ turkeys, and what ever might catch my interest. I look forward to this fun journey with all of you.
Cheers,
BLD

welcome-byc.gif
WELCOME!!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom