New to BYC

MKUrbanGardener

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2015
Greetings everyone!
For a few years now I've been wanting to add a flock of chickens and ducks (maybe even turkeys and a goose or two next year) to my growing list of hobbies including hand spinning, beekeeping, and gardening. I'm very passionate about growing and preserving heirloom, rare, and native plants, as well as heritage livestock breeds, and encouraging others to do so as well. Unfortunately, living in a fairly populated area, I'm not able to farm as much as I wish I could. However, this spring I'll finally be able to welcome some chicks and ducklings into our family, which includes one lazy golden retriever and one crazy cat. I'm hoping I'll be able to get 2 Black Cayuga and 2 Dark Campbell Ducks, and a smattering of Iowa Blues, Ameraucanas, Crevecoeurs, Creme Brabanters, and Black and Blue Copper Marans. If anyone has any advice on these specific breeds I'd love to hear it! One thing I was wondering was, if allowed to do so, how good are ducks at controlling mosquito larvae? I understand both ducks and chickens are great at controlling adult mosquito numbers, but as our property back to a couple of small wetland-like ponds (we are in the Midwest), and I'd like to see if by allowing the ducks to free range over the marsh areas they could keep down the population that way?
I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get out and start building their coop! Thanks in advance for any feedback, I really appreciate it
smile.png

Last edited:
If you lived in Colorado or Washington, you would be able to experiment in growing some exotic plants. Not sure where you are. As to mosquitoes, never heard of ducks controlling their numbers. Have chickens and have no shortage of mosquitoes . Only thing that I know works, fish eating the larvae. Don't know which variety is best at it. I once read some type of a minnow as a good choice. Problem you run into is you are not allowed to introduce non native species into waters., Check with fish and wildlife department US Government. for more info.
Looks like you plan on some GREAT CHICKEN RAISING.. WISHING YOU BEST.
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on cavemanrich. I'm won't be of much help to you as I don't grow tons of plants and I don't keep any of the breeds you do.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with any of the breeds you listed. You may find some good information on them in the Breeds section: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

Here are some links to threads on those breeds, too:

Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion

Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds

Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

I hope you can find all the information you're looking for!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Wyandottes7 gave you some great links.
smile.png
Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Ducks or any of the breeds you mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies and welcomes
smile.png
Wyandottes7, I checked out those links, hopefully I'll also be able to post some reviews and pictures there as well once the chicks arrive and as they grow. The minnows are an interesting idea, but like cavemanrich said I don't think we'd be allowed to introduce anything directly into those ponds either, it would probably disrupt the other wildlife already there, too, and I wouldn't want that. Hopefully they'll return the favor and leave the chickens and ducks alone as well!

Back
Top Bottom